free website stats program 88b engine cam plate upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

88b engine cam plate upgrade

Allen Payne

Hi there looking help & info on doing this upgrade the oil pump seized up on the flywheel and I have a replacement flywheel just looking for help on all parts needed to rebuild the engine

Year, model, mile and carbed or EFI please.;)

So, are starting from the bottom up; new crank/wheels, cam chest and top end rebuild? A parts list is pretty easy but do you have a goal and plan to achieve that goal? Will you be doing the work? Do you have the service manual?

2005 softail fxst, carb, lime to try the work myself but seems there are a lot of special tools. yes I have a service manual and will be doing from bottom up .

You have the opportunity to make lemonade out of the basket of lemons you have been handed but how much lemonade you can make will depend on how much money you are willing to spend. Have you pulled the motor from the frame? Have you been able to remove the pump gerotors from the pinion shaft? Do you plan to rebuild stock or integrate some performance upgrades into the rebuild?

The motor is the "B" counter balanced motor so you have the balancer assembly to deal with and will have to inspect those parts for possible replacement. I just rebuilt the lower unit on my '05 FXSTD with 27K miles on a 95" motor and replaced the bearings but was able to reuse all the other parts.

If the crank is not salvageable you should consider replacing the OEM 4" stroke crank with an S&S 4.375" stroke crank; price is about the same. You will need to decide on bore size and pistons so S&S will know how to balance the crank. Read the service manual and look around on YouTube for some softail lower unit rebuilds and if you have the tools or access to the tools and are comfortable taking on the task, dive in. If not, find a reputable shop (I can recommend a couple) and send the complete lower unit and new crank assembly and outsource the rebuild of the lower unit. Once you figure that part out, we can talk about cam chest and top end work.;)

Back