free website stats program 883L Bottoming Out | Harley Davidson Forums

883L Bottoming Out

fwcole

I have a friend with a 883L that bottoms just lightly applying breaks. He already put heavier fork oil in (15w),but still happening. Hes thinking of going to 30w anyone else run into this?

When I purchased my first Harley last Dec. I rode an 883 first. I immediately eliminated it from consideration because of the lack of suspension travel. To keep the costs down there have to be compromises and the suspension on this bike got hit hard by the bean counters. Not a bad bike around town just don't run over anything larger than a pencil or you will feel it. Your friend could change the forks but then the front would be better and then you would notice how little travel is available in the rear. The only good solution is to trade it for a more appropriate model. Change is good.

Adding stiffer dual rate Progressive springs in the forks (no spacer) would allow more fuller stroke. Talk to Progressive CSR to get what is best for the rider (and passenger, expected weights with baggage...if touring over tough terrain). If solo, should be no problem to get the right spring rate for the front and yes get 1" longer Progressives out back (IF you have already adjust the rear preload to the MAX).

Back