free website stats program 883C Alarm problems | Harley Davidson Forums

883C Alarm problems

wonderwill

2008 sporster - a couple of weeks ago my alarm was activating when I went to start the bike but not preventing it cranking (from memory). Replaced the fob battery but seems to be an intermittent problem. Sometimes no issue and other times the alarm will activate when ignition turned on. It does clear and does not prevent bike starting. Any ideas? I would say that I would quite like to disarm and remove the alarm completely but understand this is something the dealer has to do?
I should also say that I am having some main battery problems and just about to replace it. Is that likely to cause intermittent alarm problems?

Thanks for this. Not hugley experienced but I cannot understand that by changing the TSSM with TSM that is going to eliminate siren problems?
No sign of water at fuse panel.
Is there anything i should do with the fob after replacing the fob battery or having disconnected the main battery, to eliminate this intermittent problem?

Yes it is hands free with no button on it.

I noticed the range of my hands free fob is very short,, only a few feet.
It sounds like the handshake signal is right on the edge of being out of range because the bike does grab it sometimes but not all. At this point you don't know which end (receiver or Fob) has the issue so before I took anything apart I would check to see if the same EXACT thing happens when using your other FOB. Don't leave both FOBs close to each other. Use only 1 at a time and see what the results are. Since the range on these transponders is very short, you must rule out outside RF interference (polling of cell phones or HID sodium lighting etc). If this same problem happens wherever you go (especially open air parking lots),it probably is not RF interference.

The HFSM has a short cable which plugs into an antenna that is under the seat. If BOTH fobs perform EXACTLY the same way (with new batteries), I would clean & check both multi-pin connectors on that cable for oxidation. The smallest amount of oxidation on either end could easily detune the antenna. There really is no room for small losses when the range is short to start with. The system is working and coding properly, that we know. It just has reduced range.

Thanks for this. Not hugley experienced but I cannot understand that by changing the TSSM with TSM that is going to eliminate siren problems?
No sign of water at fuse panel.
Is there anything i should do with the fob after replacing the fob battery or having disconnected the main battery, to eliminate this intermittent problem?

TSSM = Turn signal security module

TSM= turn signal module.

Changing the TSSM to a TSM would remove the alarm system from the bike.

Back