free website stats program 883 to 1250 upgrade-cylinder type opinions | Harley Davidson Forums

883 to 1250 upgrade-cylinder type opinions

I'm going to upgrade one of my Sportys to a 1250. Looks like there are 3 cylinder options, all iron, iron sleeved aluminum, and nicosil.
I'm familiar with nicasil in 2 stroke motors, but not 4 strokes.
They are supposed to run cooler, I know they have lower friction and weigh less, but they cost $400 more.

Anyone has any experience or knowledge using nicosil on a Harley?

Hobbit, those are the kits I am considering. But I would like some info or experience other than the ones doing the selling, if you know what I mean.

nicosil was used by bmw on there airhead twins from about 80 onwards gave a longer life but could not be re bored had to be replaced when worn
hope that is of some use

Brian

Brian is correct, the nicisil is exotic coating "--think like Telflon" low friction, low wear, BUT once the coating is gone your done. Iron and aluminum, less exotic, current "state of the art", only problems iron and aluminum, different expansion rates, so engineering design has to be well thought out and heat management is key. Hobbit' Iron barrels, classic old school stuff, heavier than aluminum (simple but extremely robust design, plenty racing and tuning development); easily rehoned or rebored, rings work harden if properly finished and broken in to an extremely durable surface, quite simply tried and true...it just works!

Last edited:
Back