free website stats program 883 to 1200, What are the options? | Harley Davidson Forums

883 to 1200, What are the options?

Scootscoot

Hi, I currently own a 08' 883L Sportster and was curious about a certain kit to make my little 883 into a more powerful 1200. It just needs more ummf :)

The kit I was looking at was the SE 883 to 1200 conversion kit since they lowered there price a bit on the kit its quite the eye catcher now. Although I'm a little skeptical about buying SE stuff because a lot of harley vets I know always bad mouth SE.

What I was curious about was if this is a good option there are many other options I have read about such as using other companies like Buell, Thunderstorm, Weisco, etc.

When I called the dealer they said I would be getting a increase of about 25-30 horsepower, this is decent but what I really want to do is double the horsepower. Now I'm aware of putting non HD stuff on a bike may void the warranty and is this really worth taking the risk if something gets messed up?

Now my father and of course the dealer are all for me buying the SE kit but before I make a big decision I'd like to hear some opinions.

In simple terms, what would be my best bet for this project?

PS. I'd like to keep the price range below two thousand dollars thjanks!

OK 1st off Buell is Harley and the main difference's in the Thunderstorm motor are
Heads/cams/fuel injection/exhaust and the big big big difference the cases and crank.
the Buell internals are lighter and better balanced hence can rev higher and make more power.

Just wacking in a selection of parts without assessing how the whole will operate is not the way to go.

getting power is difficult at the best of times but getting power to be reliable is even harder.

stage2 sporty ie the SE kit will have the same or a little more output as a Stage 1 1200.

now to get the best from the 883 you will need to go big bore and high comp with a bigger cam and i am sorry its going to cost more than $2000 unless you work on the bike yourself.

to get the best out of it and to get the magical 100hp which is double your power means HEADS and this is were your money will dissappear faster than you can earn it.
for a decent set of big valve ported / cleaned and cut heads you can start looking at $1500 up.
then you need the big bore kit to take it up to 1200 or beyond, then cams, roller rockers, push rods, coils, ignition, bigger fuel injectors, uprated oil pump, uprated valve springs to stop valve float and so on, its the little things that start to add up, and to get the best from all this extra power a good 2-1 exhaust is going to be another $800 on top, when i looked at doing my 2006 1200c it was going to cost almost $5500 using matched and proven products.

So if the SE kit is $2000 fitted i would really look at it very hard if all you want is a little more stomp, but be aware the SE heads are not the best they are known as decked to make the compression so there is little left to do anything else with them.
Hope this helps

Understandable I think my best bet will be with SE as of right now its the cheapest (I can get it for $960) and not so complex as I will not be doing the work myself. My knowledge on Motorcycles is not very inclined as you could tell, just a youngin' that wants a little more kick.

But more suggestions never hurt!

Back