free website stats program 883 to 1200 conversion, hard start | Harley Davidson Forums

883 to 1200 conversion, hard start

toanjo

My buddy did a 883 to 1200 conversion over the summer. Since then, it seems if he lets the bike sit for more than 7-10 days, when he goes to start it there isnt enough power in the starter to turn her over.

Once it starts, it runs fine. Also if he runs it and then turns it off, its starts right back up.

I am guessing that his battery has just crapped out. We have not yet had the battery tested, but I was wondering if anyone else out there had any starting issues with the larger cylinders or noticed anything similar?

Your thoughts?

yep get that bettery checked the 1200 conversion is only the same as what HD builds in the factory.
my 1200 and buell would struggle to start if left a week once running fine

I am with Hobbit and Glider, you did not say how old this bike & battery combo is. If much over 5-7 years, you may be looking at another battery. You may also want to throughly scrape all the battery and cable connections, clean with Brakecleen non chlorinated cleaner on rags, wipe everything down and coat with dielectric grease once all connections are made.

My 1995 883 to 1200 conversion was(3.5") bigger bore using 10.5/1 wiesco pistons also using the 883 stock heads made a BEAST out of it.....Jeted carb/sc'm e air /1200 carb needle/scrm'e exhaust slip-on's.... POWER!

I had the same problem with starting and ended up with a new battery then a BEEFER starter.....

JUST curious???? what did he use for conversion pistons? stock????? were heads converted to 1200 or stock 883.... all this does make a difference.... mine had way LOTS of compression..... Maybe post the changes made on his conversion and parts if available to you. THANKS

signed....BUBBIE

Back