free website stats program 883 iron ? | Harley Davidson Forums

883 iron ?

new to the forum ,hate to ask a question that has probably been asked already
i just bought a 2012 883 iron i'm thinking about getting v&h shortshorts.Is the v&h fuel pack the only thing i have to do to it or do i even have to do that?

As with all Harleys they come from the factory set very lean. To really give the motor a chance you should go with a stage 1 air cleaner and the pipes. To get rid of the lean condition take a look at the Dobeck feuler. They are on the forum and will answer all your questions plus they offer a discount to forum members. Check them out on the Home page.

Your fuel mileage will certainly go down when you get the bike running good. Having said that, it will run cooler and last a lot longer because of it. It should not decrease by much but most find it decreases. The trade off is more than worth it.

Probably wouldn't hurt to wait until its broke in. 1000 mile service would be good. You could change to a good synthetic oil then too.

The comment about MPG is this, you know with a great running bike, that sounds good, the control of the right wrist is critical, for you will be using more of it to enjoy hearing bike running and the using the extra 5 Hp you will gain with the exhaust and if you add a high flow air filter another 5 Hp will be added......:s

I know my Sporty is carbed but, it has the 3.3 gallon peanut tank and stage 1 a/c, jetting and SEII slip ons and the mileage is pretty good considering. Get about 120 miles before reserve at a fairly steady pace on 2 lane interstates. 55 to 65 MPH. Drops off more when cruising at 75 MPH. But, I don't do that much touring with it. Prefer to find some curves.

From my understanding of what I've read, exhaust upgrades don't net as much power gains as would increasing the air intake. At least from a bang for the buck stand point.

I honestly don't think you'll see a big enough difference in MPGs that would see you altering your fueling routine for the commute.

I plan on riding to work a lot (weather permitting) this summer with the gas prices and all i leave at 5am is the ss going to wake all my neighbors up??

Back