free website stats program 883 compared to 1200 | Harley Davidson Forums

883 compared to 1200

jamesearl

Is there a big difference? I always figured there was.I've had a 883,and there's a sporty "72" that's caught my eye.But I'll leave it alone if there's not a substantial difference.

It's 25% larger, more torque and HP. Also more potential for performance upgrades. If it's newer than 2004, it has the counterbalanced engine which is much smoother on the highway.

There is a noticeable difference.Easy way to tell is go ride each at a dealer.
At my age, I enjoy my Sportster 883. It's an XLC and has plenty of power for my use, mostly around town and less than 25 mile trips.
My only wish is that they would have made 5th gear a bit taller for lower RPM's at 60+ mph.

At my age, I enjoy my Sportster 883. It's an XLC and has plenty of power for my use, mostly around town and less than 25 mile trips.
My only wish is that they would have made 5th gear a bit taller for lower RPM's at 60+ mph.

I agree with you on this when I had my SE1200 I always wanted a taller 5th or a 6th

Granted,they are a little buzzy at 70mph.I'm wondering if the 1200 is significantly quicker.I've ridden a 883,had one a couple years.So If anyones had both or has both,What's the difference?

Granted,they are a little buzzy at 70mph.I'm wondering if the 1200 is significantly quicker.I've ridden a 883,had one a couple years.So If anyones had both or has both,What's the difference?
I have never ridden an 883, so I couldn't say.

I didn't think any difference besides engine,but I looked and the trannies are diff.too final,5th is 3.9 on the 883.And 3.5 on the 1200

Back