free website stats program 88 to 107 cu inch | Harley Davidson Forums

88 to 107 cu inch

tom1harley

I have 2006 88 cu inch Dyna Wide Glide and I'm interested in making it a 107 cu inch. I've had the crank balanced and H beam race connecting rod installed and crank pin is welded.
Has anyone used the V-Twin 107" Big Bore Twin Cam Kit 11-1257? How is the quality of these cylinders, pistons, etc?
I know I have to bore the cases etc to install and I'm researching on who will perform head work and size of cam and size of HPI throttle body. Currently running a thundermax ecm. Any tips on this build on how they run and V-Twin cylinders and pistons please post.

Hey Tom, welcome. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the kit you're thinking about, hopefully someone around here will be able to drop their dime in on it.

tom1harley said:
I have 2006 88 cu inch Dyna Wide Glide and I'm interested in making it a 107 cu inch. I've had the crank balanced and H beam race connecting rod installed and crank pin is welded. Has anyone used the V-Twin 107" Big Bore Twin Cam Kit 11-1257? How is the quality of these cylinders, pistons, etc? I know I have to bore the cases etc to install and I'm researching on who will perform head work and size of cam and size of HPI throttle body. Currently running a thundermax ecm. Any tips on this build on how they run and V-Twin cylinders and pistons please post.

I have built a couple of these, commonly referred to as "all bore" 107. My '02 FLHT is a carbed all bore 107 that makes 124TQ/110HP. Set up right, these motors are very "torque" and fun to ride; should be great in a lighter Dyna. My thoughts or suggestions follow:

1.I don't trust "kits" as a general rule; piston to cylinder fitment issues can always be an issue. If you read the info about the kit, note that it is "imported" and that would keep me away. My last all bore 107 was built around a set of cylinders from MTC Engineering. MTC "sleeves" OEM cylinders and will bore the new liner to customers specs. MTC will re-sleeve your OEM cylinders and fit pistons. I have have them delivered "unfinished" with a bore at 4.080" and so I can have them bored to 4.125" to fit CP/Carillo pistons. This way, I know the cylinder bores are true and piston fitment is where I want it as recommended by the piston manufacturer. Additonally, I can order the piston in whatever configuration I need to set compression, i.e., flat top or domed.

https://www.mtceng.com/pistons/harley-davidson/twin-cam-88/

2. You did not mention crank balancing. Your crank assembly will have to be balanced to whatever pistons you decide to use. HD pistons are heavier that most. If your crank assembly has been balanced you need to select a piston/pin/ring pack that weighs as close to the weight of the assembly used to balance your crank. Some say a 10% difference is the max and heavier better than lighter but the weights should be as close as possible.

3. Boring the cases will require the specs for not only the spigot diameter but the depth; too deep and oil passages could be hit. Additionally, the top center case bolt is a special bolt trimmed in a V-shape to avoid contact with piston skirts at BDC.

4. Yes on head work and cams probably in the .600" lift area and with a welded crank, gear driven.

5. Can't comment on the Thundermax but you will need a tuner familiar with the TMax. The motor should be put on a dyno as soon as built for break in and tune.

I would suggest that you contact Scott/Hillside Cycles and Kirby/VeeTwin Perfomance and chat them up about your project. Pick one and work with them on a build plan, etc.; both very competent and prices are reasonable.

Edited to fix quote.;) SledDog

Last edited by a moderator:
Back