free website stats program 88 Electra Glide - engine whine | Harley Davidson Forums

88 Electra Glide - engine whine

shaker

To say I'm not a mechanic is an understatement, but I have a question about my 88 Electra Glide that developed what I can only describe as a whine when the engine is running. It increases and decreases with the engine RPMs, and sounds like it's coming from the lower end of the engine. The dealer ran some tests and suggested I have the engine remanufactured - reasonable logic if it's torn up inside, except that the engine seemed to run just fine otherwise. I have another bike, so I can wait a while before getting this fixed, - I would like to hear some other opinions before proceeding. Thanks.

Is it a 1988 Electra Glide or a 88 CI Twin Cam Electra Glide .. little more info

A whine doesn't necessarily a rebuild of the engine. Find out where the noise is coming from. It could be anything like the primary chain and a few other things like the oil pump or breather gear too.

It's a 1988 Electra Glide with a 1340 EVO. The bike has 70+K on it, with maybe about 30K or more on an engine rebuild. It was my first Harley and it got me back on a cycle after 20 some years, so I'd like to keep it on the road.

I've checked the primary chain - that's adjusted correctly, and I replaced the oil pump shortly after buying it. The crankshaft bearing is what I thought, but I just don't know enough at this point to do more than guess. Steep learning curve ahead....

Last edited:
Try to pinpoint which side of the engine the noise is coming from whether it's on the primary or the cam cover side.

You can use a screwdriver up to your ear going against various points of the drivetrain to pinpoint it,if you can't pick it out by listening from a distance

I ride a 1988 FLTC turned FLSH. If the cam was changed and not matched to its mating gear then it will whine. That would be the first thing I would check if it is on the right side. Fossil

Back