free website stats program 88 96, carb, inj. ? | Harley Davidson Forums

88 96, carb, inj. ?

Two questions here. first. Is there a difference between a carbed and a fuel injected engine? second, will a 96 in engine fit where an 88b was? I am still looking at options for my blown up 88B. i can get a 2010 96 with 900 miles on it for $2500, but my bike is carburated.

Thanks

Animal

I think that I would save my efforts and go for an S&S engine. Probably the same money or less in the long run for a stronger engine.
kemo

You better check again on the fitment.

The 96in uses a different transmission, 6 speed cruise-drive, and the 88in uses a 5 speed. These will not interchange. There are other differences including the compensator assembly and drive belt width,length and so-forth.

I suppose if you were able to get a complete engine (96B), transmission and drive belt/rear sprocket you might be able to fit one in there. I'm not sure if all the mounting brackets are the same though.

I remember when the 96's came out Harley had a video on their website that said there was like 750 new part numbers for the new set-up.

The vibration of the 96 would cause ya probs. But a complete should fit .

If you have donor carb engine all ya need is the parts from it manifold should fit if not you can get one rest would bolt on except the comp. Cams are different from fi to carb
WAP.gif

The engine cases on the A and B engine are different. The motor mount bolts on "A" are vertical like all older Harley's. The "B" motor mount bolts are horizontal.

Back