free website stats program 87 XLH 1100 carb problem | Harley Davidson Forums

87 XLH 1100 carb problem

nascar7613

87 XLH 1100. Have had the carb off, cleaned it, replaced the intake seals and the spacer between the carb and manifold. The bike runs fine at full throttle, but at steady speed or low acceleration it acts as if it running out of fuel. Put it on a dyno, and the afr goes off the chart lean at low throttle position. I would think it is a problem with the pilot jet circuit, but everything is clean as it can be. This carb is different from the later model carbs. It has no vacuum piston & needle. It also has a rubber plug that covers the pilot jet. Where does the pilot jet get its fuel from?

87 XLH 1100. Have had the carb off, cleaned it, replaced the intake seals and the spacer between the carb and manifold. The bike runs fine at full throttle, but at steady speed or low acceleration it acts as if it running out of fuel. Put it on a dyno, and the afr goes off the chart lean at low throttle position. I would think it is a problem with the pilot jet circuit, but everything is clean as it can be. This carb is different from the later model carbs. It has no vacuum piston & needle. It also has a rubber plug that covers the pilot jet. Where does the pilot jet get its fuel from?

who is the manf. of the carb / what size jet does it have?

It is a keihin butterfly style. It has a 52 pilot jet

I notice there is a hole in the carb body between the main jet and pilot jet. Thats the only thing I can see where the pilot jet could get any fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a keihin butterfly style. It has a 52 pilot jet

I notice there is a hole in the carb body between the main jet and pilot jet. Thats the only thing I can see where the pilot jet could get any fuel.

Emulsifier tube I believe it was called

Update for the fix on this carb. There is a midrange port in the venturi that gets its fuel through the accerator pump circuit that was clogged. Cleaned the passage for that circuit out and she runs like a top now.

Back