free website stats program 87' tank replacement advice | Harley Davidson Forums

87' tank replacement advice

Jay-v

I have just bought my first streetbike and it
is an 87 Sportster 883 EVO.
Now i know there IS nothing like riding around on a harley :)

The thing is it has a 2.2 Gallon tank and it is wayyy to small IMO.
Ive seen other 87 evos with 3.2 gal + tanks but cannot find anywhere to buy one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for sites to purchase them?
Thanks.

Harley Davidson sells larger Sportster tanks and most aftermaket like J&P will have larger tanks also. Look around on the internet.

Any tank that will fit an evo sportster up to 2003 should fit your bike
many of the aftermarket tank kits use special mounts to mount the tank to the frame and should come with the tank
you may also find that any larger tanks may have the petcock sited on the left side of the tank so you will need a longer bit of pipe from the petcock to the carb
there should be a lot of kits available in the big world out there but as i am in the UK anywhere i would look for a tank may not be suitable for you but zodiac and custom chrome both do kits that would be suitable

Brian

Does anyone have any suggestions for sites to purchase them?
Thanks.

I put a Mustang brand 4.5 tank on my '87 XL. It looked good, but I still wanted to stop frequently to let my eyeballs settle down.:D
J&P, Dennis Kirk, Jireh are some of the vendors that sell tanks. Ebay is a good place, you can find used tanks cheaper. If you like the look of the peanut tank, the Harley "King" Sportster tank is a good choice.

Back