free website stats program 85 FLTC Sealed Beam Headlights | Harley Davidson Forums

85 FLTC Sealed Beam Headlights

Vibratinharley

My bike has the factory 5 3/4 inch high/low 35w/50w sealed beam headlights and although they do work and its nice having two headlights, I am looking to replace these with the bulbs like the H-4's. The questions I have about this are what can I replace these with as there is not much room in the bucket where they mount and will I need to change anything in regards to wiring if I want to go with 55/60w as opposed to the 35/50w I have now? I really don't want any wattage higher that 60 on high side as this bike only has a 22 amp charging circuit. Anybody with a bike like this with other than stock sealed beams?

Are you saying you have (2) 5 3/4" headlights. One headlight is a single filament LOW sealed beam and the other headlight is a single filament HIGH sealed beam?

Are there any stator /regulator kits available to now hop up your 22 amp single phase to something like 38 amp 3 phase? You could do some amazing things with a pair of 5 3/4" globes.

QUOTE Are you saying you have (2) 5 3/4" headlights. One headlight is a single filament LOW sealed beam and the other headlight is a single filament HIGH sealed beam?

Both headlights are dual filament . So I have two highs and two lows on at same time....

I was thinking about upgrading to 38 amp system but want to wait till really cold and a couple of feet of snow on ground to do that project incorporated with drive belt change.

Last edited:
Then just get a pair of the non-sealed beam globes (5.75") (such as 2009 FXDL) and put the bulbs you want in them. I don't see why that would not work..(?)

Then just get a pair of the non-sealed beam globes (5.75") (such as 2009 FXDL) and put the bulbs you want in them. I don't see why that would not work..(?)

Thats exactly what I did. I bought a set of the non sealed beam globes and when I went to install them, they stuck out to far because metal alignment tabs did not line up with indents in headlight buckets. I assume these are for a different application and alignment tabs are different. SO, I cut the metal alignment tabs off and centered the globes and installed the outside ring and they seem to be aligned ok and they are tight in the housing. I made them work. I guess thats why these were 50 dollars cheaper than the adjure globes as the adjure probably are made to fit the bike exactly as specified. I also decided to go with lower wattage bulbs (close to stock) as to not cause a problem with wiring overheating or fuses blowing. WIll get to test these later on tonight after work!

Back