free website stats program 84 FXR no front brake light | Harley Davidson Forums

84 FXR no front brake light

e7171

Had to replace the throttle cables, now I have no brake light when I pull the front brake lever. Rear brake lights up OK. Wiring to front brake is good and voltage to the switch is also good. I think I may have disturbed something in the lever assembly any ideas?

Open up the switch housing and make sure the switch is still in place where it belongs. You should always shim the brake handle when doing work on the switch housings so it's in a slightly operated position otherwise you break the brake light switch.

switchhousingspacer.jpg

Yep, if you do not shim the lever...the stop light switch plunger can bind up or snap off a bit of the plastic housing rendering it useless...all you can do is remove the fasteners, keeping them in hand and carefully check behind the lever and hope that nothing is broken. Sometimes you can get lucky and it is jammed up but salvageable...cross your fingers (after you get it back together as you need both hands for this job), and watch out for loose copper shim/parts that may fall out. Don't ask how I (we) know...:no

Thanks guys!! I'll take a look at it this evening. If the switch is not salvageable what are my options?

If the switch is broke and both pieces are there you can Krazy glue them back together,if not go to the dealer buy a new one and install.

I bought a new switch off of E-bay for $5.95 and another 2.00 for shipping. when I recieved it I found out it was from drag specialties.

Thanks for all the ideas. I got into it a little while ago and found the hot wire had broken loose at the solder joint on the switch. Dug out the old soldering iron and 10 minutes later I was back in business. I will remember to shim the lever if I need to get in there again.

Bravo E7171! No harm, no foul and wouldn't you know it, it was a broken wire...! With all the complexity and wiring connection and bundling conditions in there, while rare, it can be collateral damage if reworking in the vicinity of the controls or bar mods are done. :D

Back