free website stats program 82 Shovelhead Knocking Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

82 Shovelhead Knocking Noise

DOC LAS VEGAS

I have a 1982 flt with the shovel engine, it is making a loud knocking noise that sounds like its coming from the front cyl. It almost sounds like something is going to blow. It sounds like its not getting oil but it is.. The top end was done 700 miles ago and the lower end was within specs.. When the bike was running the other day the oil dip stick popped out it just pushes in but it shouldnt blow out. Thank you for any info..

You say the top end was done 700 miles back. Did you do the job or someone else? Did you recheck your push rods? 1 may have loosened. As far as the dip stick goes you are building to much pressure in the oil tank. That could be from the breather gear being worn or not timed right.An overfilled oil tank can cause that also, no air space in the tank. I would look at these first before running to much or at all.Where heads redone as well? A lot of ??? but need more info.
tourbox

Check over head tappet screen first, check oil pressure next with master gauge. Were tappets removed? Orientation correct?

I had something very similar happen earlier this year on my Evo. Sheared the keyway on the pinion shaft, threw the cam and breather out of timing, front exhaust valve was crashing into the piston and sounded like a bell ringing and kept puking the dipstick out.

Ended up redoing my entire top end and went with new cylinders, Wiseco pistons and headwork through Jim Gutches out of S.C.

A 3 dollar keyway cost me bunches................just sayin'............hope this ain't what happened to you but man, you describe what was happening to me to a Tee.

Pull the plugs, and remove the rocker box uppers. Rotate the motor in 5th gear with the rear wheel off the ground and watch for the valve timing, intakes opening as the pistons are beginning to go down and exhaust valves opening when the pistons are rising. Use a long plastic straw in the plug holes to reference the piston movements. Mine was almost 180 degrees out when if finally let loose and I knew right away where to look. In the cam chest.

Back