free website stats program 82 FLH no oil pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

82 FLH no oil pressure

Cass Neal

well here goes I had to change the breather gear (to my surprise it was made of plastic ) another story, replaced it and cleaned everything, put it back together. when I started the bike no oil pressure. I found the supply to the pump was clogged at the tank. I flushed the tank and pulled the pump and cleaned everything thoroughly. put it back together started it up YEA good oil pressure. drove it a mile or 2 turned it off went to go for a ride a little later went a mile or so an no oil pressure again so I replaced the pump with a high volume S&S. still no pressure I checked the drive keys ( all 3) breather timing screen for the top end. and there is good flow to the pump. nothing out of the pump. any ideas guys cause im stumped

well here goes I had to change the breather gear (to my surprise it was made of plastic ) another story, replaced it and cleaned everything, put it back together. when I started the bike no oil pressure. I found the supply to the pump was clogged at the tank. I flushed the tank and pulled the pump and cleaned everything thoroughly. put it back together started it up YEA good oil pressure. drove it a mile or 2 turned it off went to go for a ride a little later went a mile or so an no oil pressure again so I replaced the pump with a high volume S&S. still no pressure I checked the drive keys ( all 3) breather timing screen for the top end. and there is good flow to the pump. nothing out of the pump. any ideas guys cause im stumped

Pull the cone off again and check the breather end play and check the oil pump drive shaft , bushing and pinion gear Welcome to The Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help Jack but I had just tried that on the last reassembly. But I seem to have overcame the symptom of no oil pressure by doing something I have never tried before but it worked great. I took an old aluminum water bottle about a quart or so put a tire valve stem in the top and a ball valve in the bottom with a hose nipple that fit in the the supply line to oil pump. filled the bottle up with oil , pressurized it. and yea had oil pressure to the gauge in 15 sec or so and then returning to the oil bag i. hooked everything back up started it up and she has great oil pressure again. BUT..... none of this explains why I lost oil pressure in the first place. I will just have to wait and see what happens. thanks again for you input Jack

When I lost oil pressure there was no filter or cooler. thanks for the response

You just had STUBURN oil and it wouldn't get into the pump...

WHY??? It just didn't.

Your pressurising the system is a good thing now that it is oiling...:D

A GIFT HORSE...

signed....BUBBIE

Glad you got your problem solved, I am wondering if your pump cavittated and lost its prime, I used to pack the old pumps with Vaseline when i built them to prevent a dry start, Have you cleaned your overhead tappet screen?

Back