free website stats program 79 FLH starting issue | Harley Davidson Forums

79 FLH starting issue

HardJohn

I have a 1979 FLH. When I press the stater button it continues to crank even after I stop pressing the button. It cranks until it starts. What is the issue? Is the starter relay wired incorrectly?

Either the contacts in the starter button are sticking or the solenoid is sticking causing the starter to crank.

The shaft the clutch gear slides out on May be binding Holding the Jack shaft out and that keeps the Juice to the starter motor... Freeing and returning after start.

Sticking is very common in old age.. Just ask us old-timmers. Eh
Remedy for me would be to take off the primary and have a look.. THEN.......

Remember,,,,,, When apart the jackshaft Doesn't have End support while the primary is off... Take plugs out to kick-over..No stress on this unit until the primary is back on...

The warning # 1 thing to do;;; is Remove the Battery ground wire FIRST ..

If the starter gear is moved on the jackshaft with battery connected it can take off the fingers,,,, Ask 3 fingered jack, He knows all about it...

signed....BUBBIE

Check the solenoid first, you can dis assemble it check the copper disc, if it is corroded and burned turn it over or replace it all parts to rebuild the solenoid are available so mo need to replace it just rebuild it:s

Back