free website stats program 77 XLCH quits at high rpms | Harley Davidson Forums

77 XLCH quits at high rpms

md_renegade

Hopefully, someone here can help. I bought a 77 sportster back in 91 and rode it for years without any major problems. I has some kind of electrical short and about a year ago that fried the wiring harness. Anyway, the bike sat for over a year and my wife decided to surprise me by having it restored. To make a long story short, the bike was stripped down powdered coated, generator tested and rebuilt, new wiring harness, fuel cock, front controls, signal indicators, coil, points, condensor, khein carb rebuilt. Pretty much everything new except motor and transmission.

The problem, bike runs fine at low rpms, up to and around 30mph, can ride around neighborhood all day, once you crank into it, bike dies, let it sit 10-15 minutes, can drive it back home slowly.

Pulled the ignition cover plate off, fired the bike up, points firing then quit after idling for a few minutes.

Any body have any ideas???

I'm not a bike mechanic. I am a car mechanic. Sounds like fuel starvation. Check the petcock,hose, opening in the bottom of the tank, filter, carb float, etc.

I had a 77 xlch. I had to clean out the petcock valve had trash collected plugging the valve. starving the carb. Check your tank see if there is trash in it. The older tank were not lined. They would rust if you let them sit from condensating moisture.

Thanks for the suggestion. i did replace the petcock. I am starting to think I bought either faulty points or condenser. Is there a way to test a condenser?

FORMIKE56, found the problem, close to the petcock, intake from the petcock hose on the carb was fouled. Cleaned with carb cleaner, bike is running fine!

Back