free website stats program 77 shovelhead generator? | Harley Davidson Forums

77 shovelhead generator?

MrbigMINI

I recently traded for a 1977 superglide with the shovelhead. it has a newer transmission, from the 80's i believe. Anyways the battery wouldnt hold a charge so i replaced it. Now the GEN light is on. when i looked at some answers about that it said to jump the positive terminal to the "A" Armature bolt on the generator to charge the generator. But other places say a 77 has an alternator instead of a generator. When i looked at the "generator," i couldnt find a A post. i could actually only see one post connecting to it and that was the black positive cable. So does anyone know what this is and how to fix it so the light goes off.

77 should & will be an alt..useing your vom check bat w/ eng off 12.6 volts.. eng running 13-14 volts..there are more tests of these don't pan out..

A '77 is a alternator. Many older bikes have eng/frame swaps, and some are titled by eng. year, some by frame year. A generator motor has a flat cover on the right side. An alternator motor has a cone shaped cover. Att. is a pic. of my generator shovel right side.

Attachments

• 100_1167.jpg
    100_1167.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 17
The altenator has a flat side on it and is not cone shape. im attaching a pic where you can "kind of" see it in the bottom left part under the battery. Someone also told me that some batterys arent big enough to support some bigger harleys, and that i might need to get a bigger battery. I will check the voltage when i get home

Attachments

• Photo0320.jpg
    Photo0320.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 16
The altenator has a flat side on it and is not cone shape. im attaching a pic where you can "kind of" see it in the bottom left part under the battery. Someone also told me that some batterys arent big enough to support some bigger harleys, and that i might need to get a bigger battery. I will check the voltage when i get home

That is the Starter on the back side of the engine in your picture.

Ok so i got it all figured out. When who ever did the wiring for the new ignition and warning lights, they wired the bright light indicator into the GEN warning light. HA HA. gotta love it. thank you guys for your input.

Ok so i got it all figured out. When who ever did the wiring for the new ignition and warning lights, they wired the bright light indicator into the GEN warning light. HA HA. gotta love it. thank you guys for your input.

If u have a generator, remember to re flash it any time the battery is disconnected or run dead, you can find this in your manual or self help section:s

Back