free website stats program '77 Lowrider Front Fork Question | Harley Davidson Forums

'77 Lowrider Front Fork Question

scotty

Does anyone here own an original FXS (Lowrider) from the first few years ? I really need the Length of the front end fully extended from the Center of the Axle to the lower bearing surface or where ever you are will to measure to. I am using a 39mm late model front end on one for my son, but want the length as close as I can get to original. ANY help would be greatly appreciated

Dont know about the xl size , 77 lowrider was introduced that year ,to give it the low look If I remember rite they droped the rear shocks 1 inch gave the frame a diffrent rake then the FXE I think 29 fxe and 32 on the Lowrider then they added 1 inch to the tubes ,t same 19 inch tire size, So my guess would be 26 inches but dont take that as gospel, there is a member here who has a 78 lowrider Fritz is his member name maybe PM him.

Thanks Crocker, I think I will contact him. From what I remember , the forks are +2 , but no where in the factory parts books does it show a different part # for the Shocks though. I have heard that before , but nothing that I have found documents it. As far as the Shovelhead Lowrider being a different rake, I have not been able to document that either. However the dyna Lowriders share the same extra rake as the FXDWG's in both the Evo's and Twin Cams. If it is true on the Shovel FXS, then they also used that frame on the FXEF (Fatbob) and FXWG from 80 on. I was under the impression that the frames only were different from the fx's where the lower tank mount and the highway peg mounts are concerned, but I could be wrong for sure , as it does not matter how long one is in the business, we are always learning something new, Thanks Again

Yes always learning , so many models and changes its hard to take it all in but yea ,def rake was not the 29 deg as on the superglides It was either 31 or 32 on lowriders,tube lenth was def increased for some reason +1 inch sticks in my head ,but you may be rite on +2 and I dont know but I would def agree that the wide glide was proberly built on that frame, when I get a chance I will go through my old collection of cycleworld magazines ,I know I def have the introduction yr flamed wideglide reveiw and most likly I will have the lowrider reveiw , cycleworld alway gave all the spec.

I've got a '78 but have it all wrapped up for the winter.
IMG_2671.jpg

Back