free website stats program 75 FXE handle bars with alot of play | Harley Davidson Forums

75 FXE handle bars with alot of play

TRIPPSTER

I was wondering if anyone out here can help me with this. The bars on my 75 FXE have alot of play in them ( front to back ) I changed out the stock bars for some 10 inch apes but that play is still there making it even more risky with the apes. I am not sure what the parts are called, but the rubber bushings at the base of the risers through the top tree are what is worn. Any help on what they are called would be great. This way I can contact my local dealer to see if they have them or could order them.

My first Harley was a 1975 FXE that I bought new and even took it with me to Spain when stationed there. Go to BikeBandit.com and register your bike with them. Then you can go to their copies of the Harley parts book for your year and see the parts, numbers, availability, and cost. You can find out what dealers still have them in stock or get them easily aftermarket.

I had a 73 fl & I replaced mine W/ poly bushings...I believe most bike catalogers have these...

Some vendors call them handlebar bushings, others call them dampers. There are many different compounds used. I prefer the polyurethane ones. Prices go from $10 - $50 a set. Give J&P online catalog a look. Even with new dampers, there will be some flex in the bars.

Thank you folks. Really good info here. I will try bikebandit this evening. I realize there is going to be some play in the bars, but about 4-5 inches of movement i think is a bit excessive. I really dont feel like becoming road kill !

Once again, thanks very much.

I wanna say thanks to all that responded to this thread. I went out and got some arlen ness poly bushings. Really nice now.

Back