free website stats program 74 shovelhead clutch maladjusted | Harley Davidson Forums

74 shovelhead clutch maladjusted

rdean617

After reading the ch.5 in the manual, I'm still a little confused. The bike is almost back from being a basket case. The friend doing the work up to this point, had to change direction in his priorities.
I have a kicker with belt primary w/chain drive, steel friction plates. Neither the clutch cable or the clutch hub are adjusted right. Should I go ahead with the cable adj. and then adj. the hub tension? Open to any and all good advice.

On the newer bikes you collapse the cable and adjust clutch at the hub.
It might be worth a try.

First completely collapse the cable. Put total slack in it. That is down and behind the coil, if coil is in original place. Now do your clutch center adjustment. This will be a guess because the book tell you 3/8"-5/8" from electric starter. With the belt primary I doubt you have the electric start. You could push the arm on the kicker cover all the way back to see it's max travel. Then push it forward about 1/2". Holding on to it, screw the center screw on the clutch until you feel it hit the arm. Then back it out 1/8". Now adjust your cable out for 1/4"-1/8" free play. After you get what you think is 1/4"-1/8" free play pull the lever5-6 times,re-check and re-adjust. Old Shovels adjust a little different than the newer bikes.
tourbox

First completely collapse the cable. Put total slack in it. That is down and behind the coil, if coil is in original place. Now do your clutch center adjustment. This will be a guess because the book tell you 3/8"-5/8" from electric starter. With the belt primary I doubt you have the electric start. You could push the arm on the kicker cover all the way back to see it's max travel. Then push it forward about 1/2". Holding on to it, screw the center screw on the clutch until you feel it hit the arm. Then back it out 1/8". Now adjust your cable out for 1/4"-1/8" free play. After you get what you think is 1/4"-1/8" free play pull the lever5-6 times,re-check and re-adjust. Old Shovels adjust a little different than the newer bikes.
tourbox
Thanks for additional things to help dial in the adjustments. There is one question concerning the spring tension, on the clutch hub. The 1 1/16 in., is that (from the exploded view) #4 spring collar to the #6 outer disc (pressure plate)? If so is that outside face to outside face, on each plate?

Last edited:
This is the image Tourbox is talking about, above. The image you may be looking at is an older exploded view

The measurement is actually 1 1/32". That's from the large inner plate to to the inside lip of the smaller outer plate. Don't measure from the stand offs on the larger plate. Don't know what pic you are looking at but at

Thanks tourbox and thanks to you also Jack. That was the info I was looking for. Now I hoping for one of the few times, after going through the adjustments things work like they're supposed to.

Great pic Jack. I should of looked for it in the Self Help. My Bad.
To rdean617-- are you running the stock 3 finger hub? They also have a 5 & 10 finger hubs in the after market. Either way you usually have about 3-4 threads showing after getting the 1 1/32' adjustment.
tourbox

Great pic Jack. I should of looked for it in the Self Help. My Bad.
To rdean617-- are you running the stock 3 finger hub? They also have a 5 & 10 finger hubs in the after market. Either way you usually have about 3-4 threads showing after getting the 1 1/32' adjustment.
tourbox

:p You would have thought about it sooner than later any way, you and I are old school Troubleheads:p

Back