71 Shovelhead clutch question

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Jenessa, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Jenessa

Jenessa Member

Clutch cable changing tips? Found a bunch of info but not specifically on a 71 shovelhead. Do I need to take off the primary cover? My shop manual doesnt cover clutch cable changes...weird. HELP!

2. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member Contributor

On a Shovel no need to open primary. The cable routes to the top of the tranny where you will find a lock nut on the threaded end of the cable. Loosen the lock nut(5A) & screw the adjuster all the way in to give total slack on the cable. Then remove the end from the clutch release arm(#7) on the the kicker cover. Replace your cable and adjust slack out for 1/8"-1/4" slack at perch for cable at the handle bars.
    See attached.
    [​IMG]

tourbox

3. tourbox

There is also 2 adjustments for the clutch behind the Derby cover. Large round cover on the primary cover. If you clutch doesn't slip now before you replace the cable I wouldn't mess with those. You should get yourself a manual if you don't have one. They are available from HD or a company called Clymers. Most independent shops can order the Clymers.
    tourbox

4. Jenessa

Jenessa Member

Thank you mucho tourbox!!! I do have a an old orange cover AMF manual but I think I'll get a Clymers just for good measure. The clutch was not slipping before, the cable and covering just started to fall apart...its the original cable.

5. tourbox

Good enough. Keep us posted and a pic would be nice also.
    tourbox