free website stats program 71 Shovelhead clutch question | Harley Davidson Forums

71 Shovelhead clutch question

Jenessa

Clutch cable changing tips? Found a bunch of info but not specifically on a 71 shovelhead. Do I need to take off the primary cover? My shop manual doesnt cover clutch cable changes...weird. HELP!

On a Shovel no need to open primary. The cable routes to the top of the tranny where you will find a lock nut on the threaded end of the cable. Loosen the lock nut(5A) & screw the adjuster all the way in to give total slack on the cable. Then remove the end from the clutch release arm(#7) on the the kicker cover. Replace your cable and adjust slack out for 1/8"-1/4" slack at perch for cable at the handle bars.
See attached.

tourbox

There is also 2 adjustments for the clutch behind the Derby cover. Large round cover on the primary cover. If you clutch doesn't slip now before you replace the cable I wouldn't mess with those. You should get yourself a manual if you don't have one. They are available from HD or a company called Clymers. Most independent shops can order the Clymers.
tourbox

Thank you mucho tourbox!!! I do have a an old orange cover AMF manual but I think I'll get a Clymers just for good measure. The clutch was not slipping before, the cable and covering just started to fall apart...its the original cable.

Back