free website stats program $ 7 dollar fix to a $700 expense. Please learn from my mistake!! | Harley Davidson Forums

$ 7 dollar fix to a $700 expense. Please learn from my mistake!!

Hey guys, I just learned a painful and expensive lesson and I want to share you all what I learned.
As some may have read, my left hard saddlebag fell of my bike when I was riding. Into incoming traffic. $700 to replace it. Thanks to insurance, only $200 with co-payment.
In my opinion, the stock clips (Edit ). So, I went to my local Hardware store and bought those clips, removed the stock pins and that is what it looks like now.
It is very secure and I know for sure that it will never come loose!
By the way, it takes only 2 minutes to get it on and off. Almost as easy as the original set up.
I also heard that it is easy for a thief to use and screw driver and detach the saddlebags from behind. With this set up, they will not be able to do that. (unless you leave the bag unlock, offcourse)
Here are some photos for your pleasure!
Take care
David

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Attachments

• Broken wing.jpg
    Broken wing.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 596
  • pin4.jpg
    pin4.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 624
  • pin2.jpg
    pin2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 618
  • pin 1.jpg
    pin 1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 609
  • pin3.jpg
    pin3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 610
Last edited by a moderator:
If you got the saddle bag guard rails you would not have a problem , IMO why would you have hard saddle bags & not have the guard rails !! I have never heard of the pins coming off before so is this a common problem or just a isolated acurance ? I have never had a problem with the pins & I do load up the saddle bags . I do carry a extra set of pins just incase , I keep them with my extra spark plugs .

IMO why would you have hard saddle bags & not have the guard rails !!

Maybe because you don't like the way they look? Most Street Glide owners are attracted to the clean, minimum bling look of the SG. I have seriously considered the bag guards that go in front of the bags but I've held off because I'm not happy with what it does to the looks of the bike. Maybe HD should offer them color matched like everything else instead of only chrome.

If you got the saddle bag guard rails you would not have a problem , IMO why would you have hard saddle bags & not have the guard rails !!

Well I can tell you for me it does not look good IMO so thats why I would not have the guard rails.

Did you take the stock pins to the store with you and size em up? Sadly there are no more hardware stores around here just Home depots and lowes, just like about every other town in the USA.

Did you take the stock pins to the store with you and size em up? Sadly there are no more hardware stores around here just Home depots and lowes, just like about every other town in the USA.

I don't know where you live in NH, but there are several good local hardware stores in Nashua and the surrounding community.

Frankly, I like the guard rails. But, since I ride a EGC, the rails go with the look of the bike.

What are you trying to say is wrong with the stock clips and pins?
If the bag fell off the clips was not hook. The bag can not and will not fall off if installed correctly there is no need to chnage the stock mounts.

sure it can when those cheap pins spread or break... 2 of mine have spread all ready to where they wont stay in and i have had replace them

What are you trying to say is wrong with the stock clips and pins?
If the bag fell off the clips was not hook. The bag can not and will not fall off if installed correctly there is no need to chnage the stock mounts.

Agreed! I dropped my bike on a 45 degree hill. The bike completely fell all the way over laying on its side and I have no guards or supports rails. And I didn't break the saddle bags supports and that was 3500 miles ago and still no problems. I am assuming the clips were not installed correctly which is why the bag feel off. If someone wanted to take the bags they could easier. Besides forget about the bags I have a $600 seat on my bike that is secured by one screw that a moron could unscrew and take the whole seat. But that's a whole other topic...

Back