free website stats program 6th gear | Harley Davidson Forums

6th gear

Redfish-Joe

I, like most of you would not shift to 6th until 70. It seems that since I put the slipons on the motor don't mind running at 60 in 6th. Smooth and very little vibration as compared to before the mufflers. It will smoothly accelerate from 60 without effort.

What do y'all think? Am I lugging the engine or not?

Stage 1 breather
TFI
SE slipons

its about what i found also and now with cams i will cruise it at 60 in 6th when i knwo its a long straight

I will cruise with mine in 6th gear at 62-63 mph. If I have to accelerate to pass a car or come to a long uphill, I downshift to 5th gear to avoid lugging the engine.

Thanks for the input. The small mods I did has given me a whole new feel to my bike. She seems much happier. Not to mention the big smile on my face. :D

Very well worth the money, time, and effort!

I have pretty much the same mods as you RedFish, except different slip-ons.
Same for me as well.

I went more by feel for "lugging" before I added the IDS at the rear wheel. Now I follow the "2000 rpm rule". The before and after of the IDS on a TC96 really let me understand "lugging". Newer riders on newer bikes may not get it with the IDS being stock.

Well I don't know but am thinking the gear ratios changed some from 08 and 09 my 08 EGS felt like was lugging in 6th at less than 70 .. but my 09 feels just fine at 60 or better in 6th .. although didn't do any Cam changes that may be the difference..

Gear ratios did change from 08-09 and i think 10 also

I'm with you on this, I will cruise with mine in 6th gear at 62-63 mph. If I have to accelerate to pass a car or come to a long uphill, I downshift to 5th gear to avoid lugging the engine. Puts and bigger smile on the face when I down shift tho.

Since my Stage1 with the TFI I noticed 6th gear is a lot more useful. Anything 60 or above and she purrs like a kitten. Did I mention I love my TFI?
WAP.gif

Back