free website stats program 6th gear whine | Harley Davidson Forums

6th gear whine

traveller

I'm looking for an opinion so I thought I would ask some of the best, I have a 2003 flsts and as I do a lot of touring (107,000 miles in 6 yrs) I changed out my 5 speed gear set and installed a 6 speed rev tech gear set. It always seemed to have a little whine but lately its pretty loud, the first 5 gears are virtually silent. anyone have a suggestion what as to what might be happening. thanks for your thoughts.

I would drain the fluid while hot and inspect the magnetic drain plug. Drain the hot oil into a clean glass dish and let it overnight. Since the oil is not filtered, if things are going south within the tranny you will see it.

6th gear on that tranny is not direct drive and goes through an overdrive gear set (.893:1, the main drive gear is not locked to the mainshaft) which looks (pdf is not precise) to be straight cut spur. If it is, whine can be expected after some gear lash develops.

The only part that throws me, is the first 5 gears are near silent. That part is strange.
My 1st step would be to check mag plug with a close inspection of the drained oil because there may be nothing wrong with the tranny other than some gear train backlash..
Other members may chime in who own the same tranny.

Attachments

• RevTech.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 21
The size of the main shaft dictates the size and spacing of the gears, this is where all transmissions will produce noise. Baker and Harley are working(read Harley is watching what Baker is doing) about the noise. Rev Tech used to be a quality product, now days being made off shore not so much any more JMO I like Hooples analogy of what to do here for a start:s

My 6 speed rev-tech gears installed in my 00 FXDS. Spectro is a good tranny lube BUT you would be better off using Redline Heavy ShockProof.

I can't be Bothered by others suggesting anything BUT Redline.:newsmile055:

You will find that Red WILL quiet the gear set.:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

thanks for the info, I didn't think of the spectro oil but it is a little heavier than the oil that I have in it (85-90). I'll check the for metal also. thanks again.

My 6 speed rev-tech gears installed in my 00 FXDS. Spectro is a good tranny lube BUT you would be better off using Redline Heavy ShockProof.

I can't be Bothered by others suggesting anything BUT Redline.:newsmile055:

You will find that Red WILL quiet the gear set.:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

I put Redline Heavy ShockProof in my new Ultra at the 1K service on your strong recommendation.
(that and I couldn't find any Spectro) :s

I think the heavy gear lubes that people have started using the last 4 or 5 years could be why so many riders have been having to replace the big, double ball bearing main shaft bearing in the 6 speed transmissions.

I think the heavy gear lubes that people have started using the last 4 or 5 years could be why so many riders have been having to replace the big, double ball bearing main shaft bearing in the 6 speed transmissions.

Redline has been the one that Baker suggested to use for years. They would NOT warranty their 6 speed without using it...

Now, they still say Redline is great but have made a deal with spectro to Manufacture to their specks and use it.

No problem using Redline ShockProof Heavy...

IF cold weather and/Or you want it a little thinner, use the blue bottle of ShockProof. (light weight)

signed....BUBBIE

Back