free website stats program 6th gear indicator light | Harley Davidson Forums

6th gear indicator light

BikeSAG

For those of you that have the six speed, here is my dilema. My morning commute is 62 miles, I leave out at 5am, so yes it is quite dark and when I am cruising 70+ mph the 6th gear indicator light is so bright that it creates glare on my glasses, feels like it impares my vision. Soon my commute home, again 62 milees, will also be in the dark (I ride year round).

Does anyone know how to tone down or dim the brighteness of this indicator light, or even to disconnect it. After riding for 30+ years I know what gear I am in while riding.

Thanks

They make a tint that attaches with water it might work but you'd probably have about 12' left over.

Thought about that. I have blue painters tape (cut into a small circle) that dims the brightness but looks bad in the day light. Would just as well disconnect it if I could figure out how. I've been looking at my repaitr manual but reading electrical schematics is not my cup of tea.

The sixth gear light is handled by the ECM and is a relation of vehicle speed and engine RPM that lights it. Short of messing with the wiring or trying to bypass it under the dash, I would rather cover it with a small stick on medallion to eliminate the night glare on your glasses. It would still show the glow from around the outer edges of the small medallion for seeing if you are in sixth gear.

Don't know what size light your talking about or if you can get at it. On my 05RG the gauge lights have an orange silicon type sock on them that keeps them from glaring.

I have an issue with glare from my speedo, and the 6th light does seem too bright on the open hiway in the dead of night. My speedo is white, and sometime the glare from the sun reflects into my eyes. I'm gonna change out this with a speedo/tach combo. HD part #74777-11. The new one is black faced and shows all the gears, but it looks to be way more functional.

A lot of my customers come in with black electrical tape over their "engine" light (on cars). This seems to work well for them.

(When it comes time to renew registration, the light {on '96 and newer OBD II cars} has to be off - that is where we come in for the diagnosis and repair)

I like the tint ideal. In my old Chevy Caprice Patrol car we had a digital speedometer and a needle RPM. We would cut the tint to subdue the speedo so our cutomers could not read our speed. A creative cut to some tint, like a sweeping half circle or something could look pretty trick on that speedo of yours.

The sixth gear light is handled by the ECM and is a relation of vehicle speed and engine RPM that lights it. Short of messing with the wiring or trying to bypass it under the dash, I would rather cover it with a small stick on medallion to eliminate the night glare on your glasses. It would still show the glow from around the outer edges of the small medallion for seeing if you are in sixth gear.

Excellent idea glider! :yes

you might try installing a resistor in series with the bulb, cheap at Radio Shack, start with about a 1000 ohm and go up/down in value till you find what works or better yet a variable resistor with a knob would make it controllable.

Back