free website stats program 65 flh crank/flywheel | Harley Davidson Forums

65 flh crank/flywheel

Jsampson

Hey guys I have a 65 flh conglomeration, meaning it’s been put to gather using various year of parts. I started to get a pop up the intake and there is a pretty bad vibration at three grand while cruising I thought I could be my valves not seating so I did a winter tear down and don’t find anything that look bad enough to warrant replacement. When I pulled the crank and took it to my local hd shop they looked at and said one half was lighted than the other??? This is my first Harley and love it but I think I need some info from people how know more than me. Any help would be appreciated. I can send pics if need be . Thanks..

Alright well that’s a start, guess the next step would be to call a shop. Thanks for the feed back Jeff!

As far as the pop you mentioned that could a few different things. You may want to start with checking for any air leaks at the intake and around the carb itself. How long have you had the popping issue?

At first the popping was once and a while but by the end I almost didn’t make it home from a ride. Between the vibration and the popping it ticked me off enough to pull the motor and tear it down.. before I torn it down I checked for air leaks and the valve clearance. The only thing I did find was the #1 wasn’t firing. I suspected the coil and or the wire. I did pick up a electric conversion from points so it should more reliable. I will need to check the resistance of the coil to see if it’s a bad high tension lead or the coil, I have a hard time believing half the coil is bad. It is still the old school Crome with replaceable leads. Thanks again Jeff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back