free website stats program 6-speed trannys | Harley Davidson Forums

6-speed trannys

wilks3

Are the 6-speed trannys "synchromesh" style?
If so, how would a synchromesh type oil work?
GM and Pennzoil both make excellent oils for this type of trans.

1st and 5th are spur
2-3-4th and 6th are helical

use either spectro 6speed in it

or lucas 85-140 which is what i have been trying it shifts better than with spectro and nto as noisy first shift of day is stiff cold as its a non syth but after that like butter

Syncromesh has nothing to do with wether the gears are helical or straight cut.

A syncronizer ring is used on some transmissions as a means of bringing the shaft and the gear speed in sync before the gear is engaged to the shaft.

The transmission in a Harley is a constant mesh. No Syncronizers.

and thier brass usually and with abuse that dont hold up .. rebuilt many a syncro trans at dodge :) .. wonder how one would hold up in a bike

Would make for easier shifting and less clunk but more internal rotating mass and more parts on a rebuild

Not complaining here Smitty im kind of fond of the way 4 5 and six speeds shift and the sound they make its unique to our beloved machines, and stand behind your post on proper lube and clutch adjustments JMO

Please no one take this the wrong way but what is hard about shifting a HD?
===========================================
Nothing HARD about it, it just sounds like a WWII tank. HD gears are not that much larger than others and the engagement dogs aren't larger. Many other brands transmissions go into gear with a "snick", all gears, all the time. They are also constant mesh, and just as reliable as HD. I see it as an engineering shortcoming that HD has turned to it's advantage (?) by saying "that's a Harley sound", and we parrot it.:bigsmiley33:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone back cut the gears in thier tranny's anymore? I had this done to my 93 Springer and it made a world of difference , especially in downshifting.

Back