free website stats program 51 Pan | Harley Davidson Forums

51 Pan

I got my '51 Pan out today , Stock Heads with .010 over flattops , S&S Carb and 2 itto 1 open 1 3/4 pipe and 12 volt system with AUTO Advance Dist .
It starts good and runs great at high RPM . Running down the road it has no throttle responce , when you twist the throttle it falls dead on its face ! It only does this under a load .
I was told the main jet might be too big ?? I have a 72 Main jet in , and a .295 inter. jet .
Any Ideas ??
Bubbyguitars

I just put new hoses and filters on . I didn't have this problem until the shop installed the new S&S . Is there a standard jetting to start with ?

Your still running a slide aren't you? Check for varnishing

I have a S&S Super E with a Throttle Plate >

Heres some pics !!

Attachments

• DSCF3854.jpg
    DSCF3854.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF3855.jpg
    DSCF3855.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
I would check the timing advance, might be stuck or if it's vacume it might not be hooked up to the carb/intake, just a thought,good luck.

I have a S&S Super E with a Throttle Plate >

Heres some pics !!

I think we have some info in the Super E up in downloads (Menu Jump, Miscellaneous). See here:

S S Carb Manual - HD Talking Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

I don't think they talk about jets, but have not read the whole thing. I would also wonder about an accelerator pump.

You said you already have this?

1948-1957 Motorcycle Harley Davidson Panhead Service Manual - HD Talking Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Its got 845 miles since a new build . Its a 74" + .010 Over .
New S&S Super E
If I hold the RPM's up through 1st , 2nd and 3rd it screams wide open , If crusing and twist the throttle nothing , shift down and bring the RPM's up I couldn.t ask for a stronger bike .

Back