free website stats program 50K service on Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

50K service on Ultra Classic

Porter

I have had a rough couple of months but I am finally getting back to riding.
I took my UC in to have the 50K service done. I specifically stated to the tech that the HD manual I have calls for the disassembly of the front fork tubes and replacement of the bushings as well as a fluid change. Additionally the neck bearings are supposed to be removed and inspected for wear.

I was informed that there have been service updates such that the service is to now check for issues (clunking in the forks or neck) and that unless there is an obvious issue, checking the "fall away" and if the bearing are packed with grease as well as just changing the fork oil is now what is recommended.

I have changed the fork oil twice up to 50K using the Glider method. They did take the forks apart to inspect but no bushing replacement was necessary.

Has anyone else heard of this change in the 50K service?
I didn't find this out until I went to pick up my scoot and went over the bill since there were no parts listed as replacements. My point in taking it in to a dealer was that I didn't have or want to get the tools needed for the bearing and bushing removal. But, I regularly check the "fall away", grease the neck and check the forks/change the oil. I could have done this work without taking it in. I have the piece of mind now that a trained mechanic said that everything is good, but I am a little frustrated with myself.

Ask them to show you the service bulletin or tech tip pertaining to the change of policy! :s

No, but this is an excellent example of where folks will get a better (and more likely less expensive) result by doing the work themselves. In this case you mentioned that you have been doing the maintenance yourself following some of the self-help tips found on this site. Those tips and the guidance of the HD Factory Service Manual covering one's model and year will allow almost everyone to do the vast majority of the scheduled maintenance on their bikes. I strongly encourage this since I believe it make the rider better informed on how their bike works, and it allows the rider to know for SURE what was done to the bike.

Heavy repair items for major failures may be beyond the task a lay-person feels they can attack, but even those to a point I would suggest can be tackled by almost every rider. The manual, some advice from this site, and (worse case) carrying in some parts to the HD Dealership (like say the heads for a valve job, or jugs for honing) for them to do with their specialized tool setup makes all but the major work (truing and welding crank say) possible at home.

These are just my opinions, and each rider will have to decide for themselves what they feel they are capable of, but I just want to encourage folks NOT to sell themselves short. These bikes are not that complicated, and for the most part, "YOU CAN DO IT!!".

TQ

They did print out a copy for me and I have it. The manager also assured me that the service is correct, especially for any warranty issues.

I just wish I would have known about the change in advance.

Here is a great point of maintaining a bike properly. Because of it, you have saved your self some repair expense....
Best of all you have had a good certified HD tech tell what a great job you have been doing.....:s

Front fork oil Replace 1, 2
1. Should be performed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, unless you have the proper tools, service data and are mechanically
qualified.
NOTES:
2. Disassemble, lubricate and inspect every 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers).
Out of a 2008 manual

Back