free website stats program 50K mile service | Harley Davidson Forums

50K mile service

Porter

So I am approaching the 50K mark. The suggested service I am asking about is the "front fork rebuild" and the headset bearing check/replacement.

I haven't priced this yet, but my initial thought is to have the dealer complete this just because it shouldn't have to be done for another 50K and buying the tools for the headset bearings seems overboard. To me, if I opened up the headset bearings, I would just replace them, given all the effort, so I would probably have the dealer do the same.

I have been greasing the neck and have changed the fork oil 3 times (using the "Glider method"). Any thoughts on anything else that should be looked at?
The "swing" in my stearing is in spec and the forks seem to operate perfectly. Makes me think that this service may not be necessary but I will likely do it.
I know it is my ride and I decide, but I am looking for some thoughts on this or any other issues to think about when it is apart. Thanks.

I don't know how your service dept. works but If I take mine in and tell them the work I have done they will listen and in most cases just make sure that everything is in specs and not pull everything down, saving me $$$.

I don't know how your service dept. works but If I take mine in and tell them the work I have done they will listen and in most cases just make sure that everything is in specs and not pull everything down, saving me $$$.

I will definitely see what the dealer says. They closed the HD of Maryland where I had a good relationship going. I have only had a new tire put on at the next closest dealer, so we will see. Thanks for the advice.

I will definitely see what the dealer says. They closed the HD of Maryland where I had a good relationship going. I have only had a new tire put on at the next closest dealer, so we will see. Thanks for the advice.
If it helps, I am in MD as well and have been going to Old Glory HD in Laurel. No issues with them and think their service dept. does a good job.

Back