free website stats program 5000 mile service | Harley Davidson Forums

5000 mile service

chuck60

I called the dealer the other day to see what it cost for service on my 2012 softail classic, they said $388.00 for the 5000 mile service. I can change the oil, trans fluid as well as the primary fluid for about $88.00 Is the rest of what they do worth $300.00

I called the dealer the other day to see what it cost for service on my 2012 softail classic, they said $388.00 for the 5000 mile service. I can change the oil, trans fluid as well as the primary fluid for about $88.00 Is the rest of what they do worth $300.00

If it gives you peace of mind do it, you may call to ask if you do ALL the fluids yourself if they will barter the price, other wise if you are semi skilled most of the check list is just that a check list, have a look at your owners manual do you see any thing there you do not feel comfortable doing? If you decide to DIY keep good records and ALL receipts

NO

If you have been servicing your bikes in the past follow manual and save the money for better options........:s
Plus you will have the satisfaction of knowing the job is done properly.....

JMHO FOR YEARS OF DOING MY OWN.....

Much of the stuff they call to do and Don't do is in the maintenance schedule and the mileage it needs to be done.

I have owned Many bikes from New and Believe me 1/2 or better doesn't need to be done just checked off.

Grease Neck bearing as soon as I BUY the bike and get it home...HD NEVER fills that bearing as it cost a few $$ and a full tube and 1/2 to fill... (Red synthetic thick grease)

Then check and re-adjust the Belt tension to my settings.. Old School and not tooooo tight.

I do the oil,filter,primary,tranny (redline ShockProof heavy), at 1,000... Always check air in tires...... first service always by ME...

Check things suggested in maintenance book...
oil/HD filter and primary done together @ 4,000 or 5 miles then on.
tranny at 20,000 now called out for...

Major things at 10,000 and 20,000 and 30,000 and 40,000 THEN 50,000 (front fork oil) Might need advice HERE not at HD...:s

Good to do your own...

signed....BUBBIE

If you're going to do it right then no it's not worth the money but if you take shortcuts you should probably pay them. Check the things from the manual and you will be fine. Keep the receipts or make a log of what you have done if you have any warranty.

NO, unless you have plenty of money and don't like to get your hands dirty. diy if u know how. Its not hard just don't get in no hurry.

The majority of the expense is labor, I believe the rate is $85-90 per hour, in 1/2 hour increments. Somewhat pricey IMO. I try to do as much as possible myself and know it's done right.

If you're into keeping records, receipts, etc. but most of that stuff is just your regular check up type of service. It probably takes them under an hour plus fluids costs so they make an extra $150+.

If you're into keeping records, receipts, etc. but most of that stuff is just your regular check up type of service. It probably takes them under an hour plus fluids costs so they make an extra $150+.

H.D. stands for a hundred dollars each and every time you enter dealer...:bigsmiley15:

Back