free website stats program 5 Speed FLST Top Cover | Harley Davidson Forums

5 Speed FLST Top Cover

I ordered a chrome kit from JPCycles and in the kit came a chrome cover for the top of the tranny as well as one for the side. The side cover worked out great. In the process of changing the top cover I was tightening all the bolts and there is one long one on the outter left side edge. The other four are along the front and back of the cover. This long bolt as soon as I started to thread it in the hole it snapped. I couldn't believe it cause I barely put any pressure on it. All I could figure is that it had a stress crack in it before hand. Anyway, I'm wondering that if I have the other 4 bolts tight, am I going to have a problem with the one on the outside edge? Should I tear down the bike and tranny and try to easy-out the broken part or am I going to be ok? I don't have a very easy feeling about this one. Thanks for any feedback you may have.

Should I tear down the bike and tranny and try to easy-out the broken part or am I going to be ok? I don't have a very easy feeling about this one. Thanks for any feedback you may have.

If it were me, I would suggest removing the top cover, stuffing a clean rag in the hole and then getting the bolt piece out of there. Do you think it sheared off at the tranny case, or higher up in the cover? If the latter, you should be able to get on it with some needle nose lock-jaws. If the former, you do not have much clearance to get over that bolt remnant. You might be able to rent or borrow a 90* pneumatic or electric drill from someone. Take it slow, and in addition to the rag in the tranny, put some tape across the bottom of the bolt hole if it goes through, and I would tape off the opening with duct tape. DO NOT GET METAL BITS DOWN IN THE TRANNY!! You only need to get a 1/4" or so drilled to get your easy out to bite. Don't drill through the broken piece.

Good luck.

TQ

Back