free website stats program 4 wire trailer wiring | Harley Davidson Forums

4 wire trailer wiring

dakota_dj

I bought a new all aluminum pull behind trailer for my 09 Ultra Classic. The trailer is 4 wire flat plug. I bought a Kuryakyn 7668 wiring kit with isolator to convert from 5 wire to the 4 wire to match the trailer.

I can get all the lights to work but the brake lights, which according to schmatics from the internet the turn signal and brake lights use the sam wires but I can not get any brake lights.

Anyone familiar with the 4 wire trailer plug and the Kuryakyn kit that might have any ideas where to start trouble shooting?

Thanks,

Tim:(

You will have to run a seperate set of stop lights or get a trailer wire converter. The bike is 3 phase.

You have the proper harness with the built in converter for your bike.Test the power feed on each side of the fuse this unit will not operate without being powered. If you have power to the unit take a testlight to the brake light wire going into the unit (I believe it is the blue wire) if you have power there the unit is faulty,if not re-check your connectors.

You have the proper harness with the built in converter for your bike.Test the power feed on each side of the fuse this unit will not operate without being powered. If you have power to the unit take a testlight to the brake light wire going into the unit (I believe it is the blue wire) if you have power there the unit is faulty,if not re-check your connectors.

The blue wire does have power when I apply the brakes. My brother installed the same kit and he told me his blue wire was dead. Steve, you may be correct about having a defective unit. I will call Kuryakyn and check with their tech staff.

Thanks,

Tim

In the next few weeks I will be buying a trailer and will wire it up myself.
What does "The bike is 3 phase" mean. Maybe it will help me get the right parts.

Tks Hoop!

Your bike is wired to European specs meaning signal lights are separate from brake light.You need a converter to convert to North American spec. where the signal lamp and brake lamp is is the same circuit. The unit mentioned in the above posts is a good one,but like everything else sometimes you get a defective one.The fact that his blue wire lights but he has no brake light on the trailer tells you the module is bad.

Back