free website stats program 31619-06A High Output Starter | Harley Davidson Forums

31619-06A High Output Starter

onionfmr

Looking for some information on the subject starter. Was the original starter 31618-06 on my '07 Ultra a 1.2kw unit? Anyone know how to identify the 1.4kw high output starters, other than the bolts on the starter housing on newer units versus studs with nuts on the older style? Doesn't appear to be part numbers on the units anywhere. Also, what was the "A" change on the 1.4kw units, new clutch? Thanks for any and all information.

1.4 KW is stock on your bike. I do not know the part number off the top of my head. The "A" means a superceded part number.

Thanks for the reply. I realize that the "A" is a change/update, I'm trying to determine what was changed with the "A" designation. Starter clutch, etc.

I have found that it is usually just an update that improved on the previous part, the HD dealer should be able to tell you what the update is or was. To me it never mattered personally.

Thanks again for the reply. I haven't had much luck getting any information from local Harley dealers on the "A" improvement. From what I've been reading, the early 31618-06 and early 31619-06 (1.4kw) starters had some problems. I've got, what I believe is a 31619-06A (1.4kw) starter, I'm just trying to verify what it is before I install it.

Don't know about the starter, but on my 2004 Sporty, the starter clutch was up to rev C (most start of with no letter, so 4 revisions! Looking over the simple clutch the only visible but very significant thing was the front bearing and seal were changed and looked a bit beefier (if the human eye can pick up the dimensional difference, you know that were talking at least 1/64" or so in thickness. Did not want to take apart the new one to see the difference. BTW the 1.2kW (1200W) starter is typically for smaller engines (like the Sportster).

Last edited:
Installed the Harley 1.4kw starter over the weekend. My bike is a '07 Ultra 103 Stage II with 255 Cams. Here's the question. I think the engine actually turns over slower with the high output starter. Anyone else experience this with the Harley 1.4kw high output starter? Battery is fine and connections are okay. Do have the SE comp, which makes a huge difference in the way the engine starts.

Back