free website stats program 300* 500 mile ride | Harley Davidson Forums

300* 500 mile ride

Mavagrand

Just got back from a 500 mile ride to the Georgia line and back. Preparing for a 1500 mile ride in august to the BRP. Installed my TFI and was looking forward to monitoring some lower temps..guess what...my oil temperature actually hit 300* according to my gauge. I know it was hot b/c I could feel it on my leg but couldn't believe it actually got hotter than without the TFI..i've checked the TFI settings and they are correct. I think I am gonna unplug that gauge and just ride, the engine wasn't pinging, hesistating or surging, she was running fine..just annoys me how hot she gets.

On pot #1 did you follow the instruction to a T ? In my opinion that is the most important pot setting,that and # 4 should be set at about 4 o'clock.#2 you can play with.

Steve, I followed instructions as they were written. Well check the settings tomorrow. I wonder if it is running too lean in the Cruise mode b/c once I got into town and slowed my speed to around 60, the temp began dropping.

Recheck #1 at 1800rpm,back it down to 1 o'clock then turn it clockwise till the bike runs the best.

Glider, I know its hot..like I said i wonder if my cruising is set too lean as when I got off the highway on the side roads, the temp dropped. also bike hasn't been ridden any lenght of time for about three mos, had a oil change in March. could the oil not be as effective from sitting all that time?

If when you say the bike "hasn't been ridden for any length of time", you mean during that time the bike was started for short periods of time and not ridden or reached full operating temp., then yes on your oil question. If the bike wasn't allowed to reach operating temp for a period of time, then condensation can and will build up in your oil and contaminate it.
Change the Oil. Some people go as far as to say Change the oil before and after storage, but I think that's overkill. I run it good before storage, change the oil, and don't start it until it's ready to be ridden for a real ride.

wild, appreciate the input..I will change the oil before anymore long rides, this weekend for certain. Anyone here of issues with Harley's oil pump?? I'm wondering becasue the temperature would begin to drop once I slowed to around 60mph..possible oil volume problem?? This is my second Harley and I can never seem to get over this heat issue..its frustrating.

Back