free website stats program 3 phase stator | Harley Davidson Forums

3 phase stator

Am I correct by saying your battery is not charging and your not sure if the problem is your stator or regulator? If Yes:

Stators are pretty rugged. What usually takes out a stator is a shorted regulator. (and of course a "loose rotor") There is a good chance if the stator is shorted, the primary oil will smell burnt. You can make some G0-No-Go tests with an ordinary ohm meter but they don't tell you much. A meter will only tell you if you have a DEAD short or an OPEN. Won't tell you if you have 1-2 shorted turns.

If No, post reply

Hoop!

what i want to know is a three phase stator has three wires instead of two how do you connect to check stator output

You want to check the output of the stator directly without inserting a regulator and battery to make a complete charging system.? There is no real easy what to do that, that I know of. It could be done, but it would be involved. You would have to setup dummy loads on the outputs to do it.

But,... you could make some very basic tests using a meter.

Disconnect the 3 pin connector going to your stator. Set your ohm meter on the lowest scale you have. That will most likely be a 200 ohm scale. Connect your meter leads between any 2 of the 3 leads. Your meter reading should be the same for any 2 wires. That is, the same meter reading between wires 1 &2, 1&3,, 2&3.
Now place your ohm meter in a high range. Something like 200K will do. You should read infinity between any wire (of the 3) and frame grd. That is, wire #1 & ground, #2 & Ground, #3 and ground all should read infinity. These findings are not telling you proof 100% positive if it is Good but it is telling you proof 100% if it is bad.
If you pass those 2 tests and the oil smells good, your stator is probably ok.

Others may chime in with a better way.

use ohm meter, check each wire and see if you have a major difference, if one is different you have a open stator, if all three look close, stator is good,
i work at a electric motor shop, this is how we do it.

its prob your regulator , i have replaced 2 on atv, and 1 on dads 85 fxstc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron,
In your motor shop do you guys rewind armatures that have brush commutators or are you strictly induction motors.

Hoop!

That is fascinating work. There were so many times in my life I wish I knew someone that did that kind of work for a living. How long have you been doing it.

Back