free website stats program 21" inch laced rim question. | Harley Davidson Forums

21" inch laced rim question.

The Rook

Is it normal for me to have to replace the inner-tube every 6 months or so?

Do they even make non-laced rims in 21"?

My Google skills have been letting me down lately and have not been able to find a replacement.

As always...thank you in advance.

No, it's not normal. Are you using rim strips? Check to make sure there is not a spoke protruding past the end of the nipple. Next time it's apart, drag a cotton ball over the surfaces of rim and inside tire (both directions) and see if it catches on anything. I've had tubes last as long as a tire.
I just googled "21 inch cast harley wheel" and got several sites. All pricey.

Last edited:
Are you replacing the tube because it punctured or does it start losing air thru the valve? If it's punctured where is the leak? I'm with Breez you should not have to replace the tube untill you replace the tire. Always use a new rim strip and make sure that the valve (even on a new tube) is not leaking.

In the old days ive had a tube in with more than 1 tyre but older and wiser i always change the tube with the tyre
i always keep the old tube you never know when you will need some thin rubber i have at least 4 old tubes in the bike shed

Brian

As an update: I had rust inside the rim and some of the larger flakes of rust had worn a hole in the tube.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

One of the inherent downsides of spoked wheels...a bit more maintenance and being made with steel, prone to rust in hidden places. Tubeless tires and mag wheels are a safer design and although some automotive spoke wheels can be had with the "look" but have the inside drop center rim sealed with epoxy so they can benefit with tubeless tire technology...only problem the design has not trickled down to MOCO motorcycles...YET!

Back