free website stats program 20w50 or 10w40 | Harley Davidson Forums

20w50 or 10w40

nolafishr

I will coming due for a service and I am wondering whether to go with 20W50 or 10W40 with the cooler Temps coming. I read where the 10W40 is better because it is not as thick. Would anyone comment on this and how many of you change the diferent weights of oil?

10/40 is too thin for an air cooled engine. Cold weather or not once it warms up is when you should be concerned about the viscosity.Either will crank about the same in cold weather.

Last edited:
As most have weighted in...40Wt is not heavy enough film for an air & oil cooled engine, once it achieves normal operating temperature rises to normal 200 deg F plus for the oil (and yes who says every day will be cool...even in winter, especially here in SoCal...got up to mid 70's on the coast, but in the 80's and above inland...personally do not ride only in one area...hope you don't either?

Last edited:
As most have weighted in...40Wt is not heavy enough film for an air & oil cooled engine, once it achieves normal operating temperature rises to normal 200 deg C plus for the oil (and yes who says every day will be cool...even in winter, especially here in SoCal...got up to mid 70's on the coast, but in the 80's and above inland...personally do not ride only in one area...hope you don't either?

I live about 90 minutes north of NEWHD74FAN. Temperatures here usually go up 1 degree for each mile traveled east. So, I ride in widely varying temperatures (30's to 100's) nearly year-round. 20w50 is the way to go.

Thanks Guys, I just wanted to check on this as I have read some stories on it, I will stay with the 20W50 Synthetic Oil.

I'm in north central FL and for 9 years in the winter rode my 1200 sporty with Mobil V-twin 20-50 when the temps got down to 40 degrees. No problem what so ever. After Biketoberfest, I'll be switching over to Mobil 1 in my 09 RG from HD dino.

Back