free website stats program 2014 Sportster 1200 T | Harley Davidson Forums

2014 Sportster 1200 T

My husband Pipereefer(short for pipefitter/refrigeration service) suggested I check out what is being said about the new Sportster 1200T. Bought a training bike, Rebel 250, last year after taking Riders Edge course and looking to move up. Husband has a 08 Ultra Classic and I need to keep up but want something more lightweight. Was going to wait for new 750 but I just found out about the new Sportster..light weight, lower seat (I'm just over 5'3"), but enough power to keep up with him. Sat on it, haven't done test ride yet, but wondering if anyone has any input about this one, since its so new.

My opinion only:

A Sportster is a Sportster and will remain a Sportster no matter what extras you hang on it. It was never intended to be a touring bike.

If your riding confidence is progressing nicely and you're looking to keep up with an Electraglide on longer, overnight type trips, I'd seriously consider something like a Dyna Switchback or maybe even a Softtail Deluxe or Heritage.

With seat/shock/boot modifications plenty of people your height are even doing just fine on Touring models.

I know - so many choices!!!

That softail slim is a short seat height...my ol lady sit on one Saturday at the dealer and she is 5ft 3 and she was flat footed with her knees bent

Definitely take one out for a ride and try some of the roads/highways that you would find yourself trying to keep up with hubby.

The windshield and side bags are nice but, the Sporty is somewhat limited with suspension and 5 speed.

The Dyna Switchback has more motor and 6 speed.

The Softtail Delux or Heritage weight distribution and handling might be a little more relaxed and comfortable over the Dyna/Sportster line.

A 1200 sportster is more than capable of keeping up with any of the big twins however some models have a limited range due to a small fuel tank and are perhaps not as comfortable for day long riding as a touring model
I have done 350 miles in a day on my sportster but the same journey is a wee bit more comfortable on the softail

Brian

thanks for replies, my wife has one season in and is still building confidence. Its funny that last year she was considering her next bike from a 250 rebel to a full size bagger, but now with one season in she has a new respect for cycles !! May be a few step ups to get there! so far looked/road a suzuki 650 c-40, waiting to sit on a new street 750, and im trying to push her into "bigger" sportster, but too big a step worries her. 1200 t super low seems to be a good fit for a novice who I dont want to get hurt or scared to ride with us. She had riden dirt bikes as a kid and our home and cabin are down dirt roads. pipereefer

thanks for replies, my wife has one season in and is still building confidence. Its funny that last year she was considering her next bike from a 250 rebel to a full size bagger, but now with one season in she has a new respect for cycles !! May be a few step ups to get there! so far looked/road a suzuki 650 c-40, waiting to sit on a new street 750, and im trying to push her into "bigger" sportster, but too big a step worries her. 1200 t super low seems to be a good fit for a novice who I dont want to get hurt or scared to ride with us. She had riden dirt bikes as a kid and our home and cabin are down dirt roads. pipereefer

The HD Street arrived today at the local dealership. This may be what your looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_392114128584223.jpg
    IMG_392114128584223.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 24
wife test rode the 1200 t and ended her search for her next bike, she ordered abs brakes and engine guard. the 1200 t looks like it was made for her! She (we) will be listening to advice here on hd talking as I did when I got my FLH, from initial break in advice to mobil syn oil and fuel tuner options. Lots of good info here and I thank you all. Pipereefer

It is best that your good lady opens her own account here as it is not permitted to allow your account to be used by another person and she may have questions to ask or stuff to discuss with other members

Brian

Would love my own account. My husband and I share an email and that has stopped us before. I am going to try it and see.

Back