free website stats program 2014 Road King Check Engine Light | Harley Davidson Forums

2014 Road King Check Engine Light

MSmith

I have a 2014 Road King that I performed a stage one upgrade on right after I purchased it new back in 2014. I used a Vance & Hines FP3 as the tuner. It has been problem free since I bought it and installed the FP3 until just recently. The check engine light has been coming on and off randomly. This started the day after a new firmware upgrade was performed on the FP3. the FP3 has a maintenance section and the trouble codes indicate that it is loosing connection with various "modules" like the LCHM (left hand control module), the speedometer, the ECM, the BCM (body control module?) and it has stated a CANBUS fault. The bike has been running fine even when the check engine light comes on. I'm not sure if I have an issue with the FP3 or the actual bike ECM or something else. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen an issue like this and might have some insight into what it could be before I start replacing expensive electronic components or incurring $$ for diagnostics (which I know is probably in my near future).

Welcome from So. Texas. I would first start by calling Vance & Hines seeing it started after your firmware update on the FP3. I'm not that familiar with the FP3, when you say you have these codes are you reading them on the FP3 or on the odometer panel?
tourbox

Welcome aboard.
You might try disconnecting the FP3 and see if everything reverts back to normal, that will tell you if the problem is with the FP3 or something else. I'm not familiar with the FP3, but I have a V&H fuelpak on my bike and it can be disconnected, the bike will revert back to normal settings.

Welcome from Wisconsin. I had an FP 3 on My 14.it is a great tuner. I would call or email Vance and Hines first .They would want to know of issues. You will find Them very helpful .

Welcome from So. Texas. I would first start by calling Vance & Hines seeing it started after your firmware update on the FP3. I'm not that familiar with the FP3, when you say you have these codes are you reading them on the FP3 or on the odometer panel?
tourbox
I was reading the trouble codes from the FP3 app. I wanted to see if anyone else with an FP3 had a similar issue because I found questions pertaining to trouble codes in the FAQ section of the V & H website that had a similar theme.

Welcome aboard.
You might try disconnecting the FP3 and see if everything reverts back to normal, that will tell you if the problem is with the FP3 or something else. I'm not familiar with the FP3, but I have a V&H fuelpak on my bike and it can be disconnected, the bike will revert back to normal settings.
I did disconnect the FP3 and ran the bike. The check engine light came back on after a short period of time. I reconnected the FP3 and double checked the trouble codes and basically the same ones came up. I'm leaning toward this being an issue with the ECM on the bike but will continue to research and will contact V & H directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to retrieve the ECM codes from your odometer. See if they are the same as you see on the FP3. You may be able to see how to read them in your owners manual, if you have one. Other wise they should be here on the forum in the search section. If you can't find it I can post a Word doc. of the same.
tourbox

Press and hold the trigger switch while turning ignition switch to acc. (Trigger switch steps thru mileage on odometer.) Each time You push trigger switch it steps thru possible code areas, like radio etc. If yes is indicated, hold trigger switch to see code. Holding switch while code is displayed will erase code.

Back