free website stats program 2014 FLHX is Very Intimidating | Harley Davidson Forums

2014 FLHX is Very Intimidating

Bikergeek

Geez,

Had a 2008 Heritage, traded it for my new 2014 Street Glide. This Street Glide is awesome except for:

Complex front end. The batwing is a bummer when it comes to working on the handlebar area. I would like to adjust the angle but have no idea how to get in there to adjust it. Actually, the entire Street Glide is intimidating to work on. And I have the 2014 HD Touring service manual and it's still impossible to understand and work on.

The Heritage was so easy.

Hopefully as the quality has increased over the last few years and especially since the new and improved 2014 you should not need to do anything except normal maintenance and tires.....

I am hoping to rotate my bars forward some. They are in too low of a position for what I am used to. I think you should be able to get to the handlebar clamp without too many complications. Now changing the handlebars is complicated, expensive if you want to go taller, and time consuming for the technically-challenged!

I was able to replace and rewire the handlebars on my 2008 FLHT a few years ago, but that was very difficult!!! I internally wired1" apehangers, with the throttle-by-wire! There are at least a dozen wires on each side of the handlebar. Let me tell you I used a lot of lube to stuff them through! newsmile029:, and it took quite a few hours and a lot of patience, which is not a characteristic of mine, to accomplish this task. :newsmile073: But it did make the riding position a lot more comfortable, though my hands were a lot colder, since they weren't "tucked" away anymore. Wearing heavier gloves was better for me rather than a sore back from the stock riding position!

I need to get a service manual for my new bike, but I think it can be done. Good luck!

I sorta' went through this with my 2014 RoadKing. When i picked it up, bars were too forward for me, so we go arouind back & the mechanic proceeds to pull the headlight assembly apart to get to the adj. bolts. this took about an hour. so, i want to adjust them again, messed around & it's easy !!! pop off the little cover on the middle of the handlebars, then get a long allen wrench (forget what size), it will fit to loosen the back bolts, enough to tweak the position. I used a box end wrench for leverage. Of course you can only move them so much forward & back. good luck.

Geez,

Had a 2008 Heritage, traded it for my new 2014 Street Glide. This Street Glide is awesome except for:

Complex front end. The batwing is a bummer when it comes to working on the handlebar area. I would like to adjust the angle but have no idea how to get in there to adjust it. Actually, the entire Street Glide is intimidating to work on. And I have the 2014 HD Touring service manual and it's still impossible to understand and work on.
The Heritage was so easy.

As I've only touched a 2014 on the show room floor, I may be wrong. Earlier model batwing handlebars could be adjusted by removing the fairing cap. That is the piece with the rocker switches. Of course the ign. switch needs to come out which is a trick (see self help) itself. Then you can access the rear handlebar clamp bolts to loosen & rotate.

I sorta' went through this with my 2014 RoadKing. When i picked it up, bars were too forward for me, so we go arouind back & the mechanic proceeds to pull the headlight assembly apart to get to the adj. bolts. this took about an hour. so, i want to adjust them again, messed around & it's easy !!! pop off the little cover on the middle of the handlebars, then get a long allen wrench (forget what size), it will fit to loosen the back bolts, enough to tweak the position. I used a box end wrench for leverage. Of course you can only move them so much forward & back. good luck.

Yeah, my 97 Road King was a breeze! I changed and adjusted them so many times, I became a pro. The fairing and the ignition make the Ultra's and I assume the Street Glides more of a headache.

Great video and thanks for the help.

Only thing I noticed that is different with the video compared to my 2014 HD service manual instructions is the manual tells you:

1. to remove the main fuse.
2. After inserting the key, turn the ignition switch to the unlock position leaving the key installed.
3. then rotate the ignition switch to the Fork Lock position before starting the actual removal of the ignition switch knob.

The video shows the ignition knob in the normal off position before removing the knob.

Did the procedure change for the new 2014 models?

Back