free website stats program 2012 ultra limited | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 ultra limited

BandT

So im leaving the house on the way to work this morning and when i get to the stop sign (coasting about 20mph) i press the rear brake and the bike starts shaking like maybe the rear rotor is warped or coming apart. So i hit the next stop sign and again, same thing. It seems like the harder i press the rear brake the harder the bike would shake. So i head on to work and before i get off i call the harley dealer (bike has 600 miles) and explain the situation. The service advisor says bring it in immediately. I bring the bike in, 2 techs drive the bike and decide that its normal.

All i can say is that it wasnt doing when i left the dealership with it 2weeks prior and now it is. Now ive got the bike back home and imstarting to wonder if i should get a second opinion, call harley or something, (EDIT) i dont know. All i know is that im not sure about the whole vibration. Its like the abs is trying to engage itself at a low speed where there is no loss of traction.... Anyone care to weigh in, anything is welcome

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Try another dealer. These bikes aren't supposed to vibrate when applying the brakes in a normal stopping situation.

I never have worked on HD ABS but I wonder if you could temporarily pull a fuse to cripple the ABS feature. This way you could determine if it is a mechanical issue with the rotor/caliper or if it is an ABS malfunction (solenoid, wheel speed sensor etc) kicking in when it should not.

It almost sounds like the ABS "thinks" the rear wheel is skidding when it is not. That would make it shake for sure and the rotor could be perfectly straight.

I know, I know, the bike is still under warranty & you should not be the one who has to diagnose the problem... but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.:)

Spmetimes when a abs wheel bearing has a malfunction it can read improperly as if the wheel is trying to lock but is not. The ABS warning light will not come on because system does not see a flaw. I agree you need to go to another dealer or have a very strong talk with selling dealer and not buy into operating as designed, normal operation.....

ask around with your guys at work and see if they have a dial indicator. IT WOULD BE EASY TO CHECK IF A ROTOR IS WARPED, AND REALLY NICE TO TELL YOUR H-D DEALER THAT XXX ROTOR IS WARPED. YOU CAN RENT/BARROW A DIAL INDICATOR FROM AUTO ZONE AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK WHEN YOU RETURN IT. JUST HAVE THE BIKE READY TO CHECK WHEN YOU GO RENT THE D/INDICATOR
on '09 t/g max brake disc lateral warpage is 0.008 (.02mm when measured near the outside diamater of the disc.
good luck.

ask around with your guys at work and see if they have a dial indicator. IT WOULD BE EASY TO CHECK IF A ROTOR IS WARPED, AND REALLY NICE TO TELL YOUR H-D DEALER THAT XXX ROTOR IS WARPED. YOU CAN RENT/BARROW A DIAL INDICATOR FROM AUTO ZONE AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK WHEN YOU RETURN IT. JUST HAVE THE BIKE READY TO CHECK WHEN YOU GO RENT THE D/INDICATOR
on '09 t/g max brake disc lateral warpage is 0.008 (.02mm when measured near the outside diamater of the disc.
good luck.

Consider releasing the caps lock on the keyboard. Posting in CAPS is considered shouting on the net.

Something seems awry w/your ABS (sensor, setting, etc.)...I'd say time to elevate the situation higher & work through service manager vs. service tech signing bikes into dealership. Unless you're "hard braking" the rear shouldn't shimmy at all. ABS "chatter" is normal when you're panic stopping, but shouldn't engage w/normal slow stops. Good luck & keep us posted.

Well we got it back from the dealership friday and of course "normal operation" so i said to the manager lemme ride the electra glide classic sitting on the floor that has abs. So we drag it outside and roll around the lot a few times and would you believe it does the same freaking thing? Im stumped.

Do you use your front brakes? You haven't described a normal braking scenario where both front and rear are used. If you are getting into the rear break heavy (or any braking situation heavy) your ABS system is going to pulse to prevent wheel lock-up.

Back