free website stats program 2012 Touring Voltage Regulators | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 Touring Voltage Regulators

La Smoke

Just got back from my local Harley dealer, Had my voltage regulator changed out (Free).
It seems that from Nov.2011-Feb. 2012 A bad batch of voltage regulators where installed on the touring models.
My issues started at 200 miles on the bike after the engine gets hot the 6 gear,oil and check engine light would come on while i was doing 20 or so miles an hour, After a few minutes go out. The voltmeter would drop to around 11 volts then would climb back up to 16 volts.
I read on here somewhere that voltage regulators would either work or not, That is not the case with these..They work until hot then quit, After a 15 minute cool down they work again.
There will be a factory recall I am told but the dealers are aware of this problem and will swap out for free.

I wonder if HD changed their vendor for voltage regulators. Tympanium Corp has been their supplier for years (before 3 phase came out).
Would love to get my hands on a blown 2012 regulator to find out. Could be a bean counters decision.

Just got back from my local Harley dealer, Had my voltage regulator changed out (Free).
It seems that from Nov.2011-Feb. 2012 A bad batch of voltage regulators where installed on the touring models.
My issues started at 200 miles on the bike after the engine gets hot the 6 gear,oil and check engine light would come on while i was doing 20 or so miles an hour, After a few minutes go out. The voltmeter would drop to around 11 volts then would climb back up to 16 volts.
I read on here somewhere that voltage regulators would either work or not, That is not the case with these..They work until hot then quit, After a 15 minute cool down they work again.
There will be a factory recall I am told but the dealers are aware of this problem and will swap out for free.
Yep, my voltage regulator is going out also. Doing the same thing as yours. My dealer doesn't have any in stock and can't order them. Says that Harley is sending them to their dealership, but just so many at a time. Sounds kind of stupid to me. Why don't they just have a recall and be done with it? As of today, they don't have one and are replacing them as they go out, says my dealer. So I'm waiting on a new one and my bike is just sitting in the garage. which sucks.

Take a look at this thread, lots of good information, including the service bulletin: Voltage Regulator Failure - Harley Davidson Community

I checked for ANY recall for my bike (2012 RK) and found that there are no open or closed recalls...however there is a Product Program notice.
The Product Notice is 0912: PRD PGM: 2012 Regulators
It further says "Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local HD dealer for further details."

One of my friends had the same problem with his Ultra classic after only 500 Km, & they changed of course under warranty here in Kuwait

Had my regulator replaced under warranty at 1000 miles, acting just like yours. 2012 RK, this is starting to sound like a common problem. Dealer had several regulators in stock.

Back