free website stats program 2011 RK fuel tank capacity | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 RK fuel tank capacity

Billbo

Hello all. recently purchased a 2011 RK. From all the paperwork I have read it has a 6 gal gas tank. I just made a trip and knew I was close to needing gas and was looking for a station. Then, I noticed it auto-switched to count down mode -- mileage was counting down from around 35-40 (I didnt notice for sure) and at 30 - with fuel lite ON, I pulled into gas station. I filled up with 4.5 gallons of gas. My question is it seems I should have had nearly 1.5 gallons of gas left in the tank, but, the count down odometer was at 30 miles remaining. To me, that means just about out of gas! Question is where did the other 1.5 gals go too? NOTE; I always fill the tank even with the flat plate inside the filler spout on the tank. (Can't put anymore gas in tank).
All this would have made more sense IF I had a 5 gal tank - showing about 1/2 gal and 30 miles remiaining till empty!

Does the 2011 FLHR come with a 5 or 6 gal tank? (EDIT) My Service Manual for 2011 Touring models indicates a 6 gal tank for all models. And elsewhere, I printed out standard equip and says 6 gal tank also.

Bill

Last edited:
Yes, you should have a 6 gal tank. Sounds like you have a mystery on your hands. On mine (5 gal tank) when my lite comes on I have about 40 miles or I'm pushing her to the station.

Ever since the first fuel gauge appeared on a Harley, there have been complaints about accuracy. My buddy and I have identical '07 Electra Glides. His fuel light comes on about 40 miles before mine. My fuel gauge stays on Full for 75-80 miles then drops rapidly. His fuel gauge comes off full in 40 miles, then inches down slowly. We use the same amount of gas when we fill up. I use the gauge as an approximation, and trip meter "A" to let me know how far I can go.

You will drive yourself nuts trying to get this figured out. You have a 6 gallon tank. Ride till the fuel gauge reads 1/8 and fill up. When the low fuel light is on and shows miles to empty, that is a approximation which is calculated by fuel usage. So it could drop from 30 miles till empty to 10 miles till empty with one hard acceleration.

My light don't come on at all any more. It stumbles and I twist to reserve and hope for a station cause I usually only have about .75 gallon left.

thanks all..... it has me baffled to think the tank was almost empty, pull in to station and fill up - and only put in 4.5 gallons of fuel (topped off). My MPG's always seem to be hovering around 40-44 or so, based on miles actually traveled and gas put in to top off again. Even being safe, I should be going -- let's say 40 x 5 gal = 200 miles and leaving me STILL an extra gallon of gas for insurance. Using those numbers, I should be OK to always drive about 175-200 miles (and still have a reserve gallon), then consider gassing up -- do you all agree?

It's that 6th gallon that I am not so sure about :newsmile040: One day I just may have to run it till it stops and then fill it up and see IF I can put in 6 gallons!!!

Thanks to all for you replies,
Bill

thanks all..... it has me baffled to think the tank was almost empty, pull in to station and fill up - and only put in 4.5 gallons of fuel (topped off). My MPG's always seem to be hovering around 40-44 or so, based on miles actually traveled and gas put in to top off again. Even being safe, I should be going -- let's say 40 x 5 gal = 200 miles and leaving me STILL an extra gallon of gas for insurance. Using those numbers, I should be OK to always drive about 175-200 miles (and still have a reserve gallon), then consider gassing up -- do you all agree?

It's that 6th gallon that I am not so sure about :newsmile040: One day I just may have to run it till it stops and then fill it up and see IF I can put in 6 gallons!!!

Thanks to all for you replies,
Bill
Using the numbers you quoted you should have no problems depending on your driving habits. I try to fill up between 150-180 just because but I also have a 5 gal tank.

I usually refill at 200-250 miles with no low fuel light on... This is on a 300-500 mile day. Around town 150-180 and refill with no low fuel light... So as we hate to hear dealer say..... Working as normal no fault found...

Using the numbers you quoted you should have no problems depending on your driving habits. I try to fill up between 150-180 just because but I also have a 5 gal tank.

With my Heritage (5 gal tank) I refill about the same as you do Jeff.

I usually refill at 200-250 miles with no low fuel light on... This is on a 300-500 mile day. Around town 150-180 and refill with no low fuel light... So as we hate to hear dealer say..... Working as normal no fault found...

dbmg - well I did fail to mention this was all highway miles on a trip this past weekend. I agree 'intown' mileage will be considerably less. But, regardless, that dang tank should always hold the same amount of gas.... :):):)

Thanks Jeff and dbmg. My wife says I am wayyy too analytical about most stuff. She's probably right!!! I think 200 miles is about all the 'sitting' I can stand at one stretch anyway!! Hummmm do I see a new MC seat in my future??

Thanks again to all for helping me with this gal/tank question.
Bill

I'd say your numbers are right,if you go 65mph or under.If you go around 80 it will certainly be less.

Back