free website stats program 2011 flhx 103 | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 flhx 103

Hello everyone, My name is Shane and I am new to the forum and baggers.. Was a shovel man, but turned 40 not too long ago and stepped into the best bike I have ever had the pleasure to ride... FLHX... I am also new to twin cam and EFI.. With that being said, I am curious if any one can help me out.. I want to do exhaust, of course, but I am told that I have to de a " stage 1 " upgrade which includes headers, slip ons, dyno tuning, and breather which comes to a grand total of around 2500.00. can anyone tell me if this is normal or is my dealer thinking I am some noob that will fall for what ever the dealer tells me?
Thank you for your time and if I could get pointed in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.. Thank you, Shane

If installation of mufflers with a baffle size of 1.75 inch or smaller nothing more is needed. Though a fuel controller such as a TFI from Dobeck will definitely wake up bike and is easily adjusted for later modifications.

thank you sir... Are there any exhaust you would recommend for this application? and before I ask about the TFI I will go do some reading on it.. Thanks again

I am assuming that the only way to get true flow is to replace the header pipes to get rid of the cat! So, if I did header, exhaust, heavy breather, and the TFI or Vance and Hines Fuel pack, it is basically doing the same thing as dealer, just trimmin a mountain of fat off??

Deciding what you are really trying to achieve as a end result would be the first step. With the 103 you are already ahead of the pack. Remember that with the exhaust and heavy breather you will be adding a noise factor that to some is very enjoyable while riding. So taking time and research will help in not making a mistake in deciding.. Best of luck.

I am pretty sure I am trying to achieve 3 things. 1 is sound, I like some noise. 2 is performance I want to open the bike up so it behaves at its full potential, and 3 just tryin to do this on a workin mans budget.

eg1; sounds like you know your way around a scoot & can take on these upgrades w/o a dealer's hefty service charge(s). The quickest/easiest route to go is replacing stock exhaust, breather & add tuner. There's a wealth of knowledge on this site & loads of personal preferences on any/all upgrades. Personally I went w/Dobeck TFI tuner, Bub-7 true dual exhaust & LA Choppers xXx breather on my bike...total cost was ~$700 (+ my time). Definitely good deals on the net so be patient, do some research & start saving. Dobeck has awesome discounts for forum members, military, or public service so you might want to start w/tuner. I found an awesome eBay deal on my Bub-7 TD's ($325/new) and the breather was also on sale @ Dennis Kirk. Good luck w/your search, welcome to HDTimeline & enjoy working on the bike!

eg1; sounds like you know your way around a scoot & can take on these upgrades w/o a dealer's hefty service charge(s). The quickest/easiest route to go is replacing stock exhaust, breather & add tuner. There's a wealth of knowledge on this site & loads of personal preferences on any/all upgrades. Personally I went w/Dobeck TFI tuner, Bub-7 true dual exhaust & LA Choppers xXx breather on my bike...total cost was ~$700 (+ my time). Definitely good deals on the net so be patient, do some research & start saving. Dobeck has awesome discounts for forum members, military, or public service so you might want to start w/tuner. I found an awesome eBay deal on my Bub-7 TD's ($325/new) and the breather was also on sale @ Dennis Kirk. Good luck w/your search, welcome to HDTimeline & enjoy working on the bike!
thanks iceman, I am definitely going to go with the dobeck tuner, and I am keeping an eye on ebay to look for deals... I almost fell off my bike when HD gave me a quote for a " stage 1 " upgrade.... as I said in a previous post, I remember now why we never dealt with the dealer for mods...

I would recommend a good 2-1. You can add a ghost pipe if you don't like the unbalanced look. 2500.00 seems a little steep to me for Stage 1, pipes and tuner. I had V&H true dual headers, Python mufflers and V&H Fuel pack installed for ~1200.00 last year. Now I am going with a black powder coated D&D Fatcat + ghost pipe for around 1400.00 installed since I already have the tuner.

Shakey

Back