free website stats program 2010 Street Glide lifter or solenoid? | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Street Glide lifter or solenoid?

rickr01

So along with the normal sewing machine ticking which I deem normal for the TC 96 on my 2010 Street Glide from what I've heard and experienced, I also have this odd tick that varies in frequency and doesn't really seem to be related to RPM, that I hear all the time, cold or warm and at all RPM's. The only way I can describe it is constant, but varying in resonance. Again, it doesn't really seem to be tied to RPM. Kind of always there but comes and goes in frequency. Any ideas? I don't think its a major issue, as the bike runs fine and I can hear the very distinct and constant but smooth and RPM dependant sewing machine clatter of the lifters. Almost sure it sounds like it's coming from the top end. I noticed it a bit more when I changed to the Stage 1 upgraded air intake. I know that a freer intake means more noise but I'm also wondering about the fuel injector solenoids. Somebody told me they make a distinct but erratic sounding tick that is easily heard behind a bat wing. It would make sense that by changing the intake I would here this tick easier as well. Any thoughts? Anybody else experience this type of noise? The trouble is I don't know what the injector solenoids are suppose to sound like or just how loud they are actually suppose to be? Thanks for any input.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but I'm also wondering about the fuel injector solenoids. Somebody told me they make a distinct but erratic sounding tick that is easily heard behind a bat wing.

My hearing is not all that great, but I think you would be hard pressed to hear injectors ticking while a HD engine was running. With a mechanics stethoscope I could but never while ridding or idling.

What you are hearing may very well be the injectors. From years of working with motors, I can hear noises that others cant hear and I hear injectors ticking on these engines too. It's very faint but the replacement of the stock air cleaner box with a stage 1 unit can enhance the sound because it's more open in the injector area.

I know this may sound strange, but the same thing happened to me once on my 2010 Streetglide. After searching every thing I could on the engine and finding nothing I noticed the door on the CD player was open. Yep, that was it, closed the little plastic door and the ticking stopped. Hope yours is a simple fix too.

I know this may sound strange, but the same thing happened to me once on my 2010 Streetglide. After searching every thing I could on the engine and finding nothing I noticed the door on the CD player was open. Yep, that was it, closed the little plastic door and the ticking stopped. Hope yours is a simple fix too.

Its definately not the CD door, lol...but thanks for the heads up. It is weird and seems hard to isolate, but again I have nothing to compare it to. It is engine related but does not seem to really keep beat with engine RPM, yet it is a definate ticking that varies in intensity, just not with RPM. Alawys there the same hot or cold engine. I've been a Pan, shovel and Evo carb only man, so I have no prior experience with a TC 96 fuel injected motor. Wish I could find a sound clip of a running TC to have a comparison. Thanks for all of the responses, I appreciate it.

I have noticed a ticking sound on my new 2011 street glide also, it only has 1050 miles on it.

The TC engines are far from what could be called quite. It isn't necessarily a signal that something is wrong.

Back