free website stats program 2010 Road King Classic Leather Bag Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Road King Classic Leather Bag Problem

Bullethead

I too have a 2010 Harley Road King Classic that is now two months old with about 6,000 kilometers on it. I love this bike and it is THE Harley I wanted to own.

The problem I have is because the chrome emblem on the lid of the leather bags is held on by two rivets each and the ends of these rivets are not covered or protected, every time you open or close the lids these fairly sharp rivets have now cause severe scratching on the sides of the bags where the lid covers them. Although these scratches cannot be seen unless you have the lid up, nonetheless, it is I believe a Harley oversight with such a simple fix like putting rubber caps over these rivet ends. After all, in Canada we're paying almost $30,000. for this bike.

Has anyone noticed a similar problem? Has anyone contacted Harley about this? Has anyone been able to rectify this problem. I would like to find a solution to this before these rivets make their way right through the leather.

I would like to email Harley about this but of course they do not receive emails so I must have to use snail mail.

Its a small problem but truly disappointing for such a fine machine.

Because you are under waranty (I don't now if covers the sandle bags)if I was you for a temporary solution I was going to use a black tape just to avoid scratching the sadles,until you will have a official solution.

Thank you all for your suggestions in dealing with this small Harley oversight. I think I will try the silicone solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news!
I have been able to resolve the leather bags from being scratched by the lid emblem rivets!
I went to Canadian Tire today and purchased a pack of 4 rubber washers. These washers happen to have just the right sized hole for them to fit snugly over the emblem rivet ends. The washers are also thick enough that the rivets do not protrude past the washers. Cost? 2 bucks! Something that Harley should have done!
For those interested who have experienced similar problems the washer part number is "PS 2380" imported by "Brass Craft Canada" of St. Thomas, Ontario near London, although the package says the brand is "PlumbShop".
The rubber washers are 7/8" diameter and appear to be approximately 1/4" in thickness.
I know that I am certainly not the only person experiencing this problem as while in "The Shop" Harley dealership in Sudbury, Ontario recently, two other customers there at the time also had the same issue.
Again...thank you all for your suggestions.

Bullethead

Last edited by a moderator:
Back